SHM(mass suspended vertically on spring)

• Thread starter nrweis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the homework asks for the period of an oscillatory motion which is based on the equation ω=2πf. T is the time it takes for the oscillation to complete, and the equation states that √(g/∆x)=ω=2π(1/T).
nrweis

Homework Statement

An object is hung on the end of a vertical spring and is released from rest with the spring unstressed. If the object falls 3.42 cm before coming to rest, find the period of the resulting oscillatory motion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This was a homework question given and the answer is in the back of the book and it says
T = .262 seconds. Now i have no clue how they got this because I thought that the period was related to the spring constant and the mass but not to the amplitude so how can we find T if neither k nor m is given?

Physics news on Phys.org
nrweis said:
so how can we find T if neither k nor m is given?

Hi nrweis, welcome to PF!

You can deduce something about them from the restoring force that is required to balance the object's weight.

Welcome to PF.

You don't necessarily need m and k, because don't you also know that

a(t) = ω2*x(t)

Won't a(t) = 9.8 at x/2 from the dead weight equilibrium point, which is at the peak of its oscillation?

Since ω = 2πf = 2π/T ...

Ok I thought about it for a while and thought I was on the right track but still got it wrong. This is what i did:

F=k∆x
mg=k∆x

√(g/∆x)= √(k/m)=ω=2π(1/T)

√(g/∆x)= 2π(1/T)

T=2π√(∆x/g)

and I got like .37 seconds.
Was I on the right track?

now I'm all confused. I was thinking that delta x was the amplitude

ok I just misunderstood the question. When I divided the 3.42 cm by 2 and reentered it to the formula I got the right answer. Thanks guys.

nrweis said:
now I'm all confused. I was thinking that delta x was the amplitude

Yes. Δx is the amplitude, but the x-position function which expresses x as a function of time is only x/2 distant from the mid point.

Congrats on figuring it out.

What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion. It is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, following a sinusoidal pattern.

What is the formula for calculating the period of SHM?

The formula for calculating the period of SHM is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in Newtons per meter.

How does the amplitude affect the motion of an object in SHM?

The amplitude of an object's motion in SHM determines the maximum displacement from the equilibrium point. A larger amplitude results in a greater distance traveled by the object during each oscillation, while a smaller amplitude results in a shorter distance traveled.

What factors affect the frequency of SHM?

The frequency of SHM is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. A larger mass or spring constant will result in a lower frequency, while a larger amplitude will result in a higher frequency.

What is the difference between SHM and damped oscillations?

SHM is a type of periodic motion that continues indefinitely without any external forces acting on the object. Damped oscillations, on the other hand, occur when an external force (such as friction or air resistance) is present, causing the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease over time.