How to Create a List of Appendices in Latex for Thesis?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex List
In summary, there is no default support for appendices in LaTeX, but the \usepackage{appendix} command can provide more control. The \appendix command can be used to start the appendices, but there is no way to go back to regular chapters after that. To include appendices in the table of contents, the \usepackage{appendix} command can be used. To create a separate page for a list of appendices, a separate command or package may be needed.
EngWiPy
Hello,

In Latex, there are the \listoftables and \listoffigures control sequences to list the tables and figures respectively where you want. But I didn't find a similar control sequence to list the appendices, or did I miss it? Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
LaTeX doesn't have default support for appendices. Most classes give you an option (like \backmatter) which will set special formatting for \chapter's so they show "Appendix A" instead of "Chapter 13", which means they'll just show up in your table of contents.

Check into
Code:
\usepackage{appendix}

The default command \appendix starts your appendices but there's no way back, and everything subsequent will be labeled that way. I believe the package gives you a little more control.

Thanks CompuChip and minger for replying.

For sure I want to include the Appendices number in the table of contents, and I did that. But what I want is to set a list of appendices in a separate page, as with list of figures, and list of tables. How can I do that? This is one of the requirements of my thesis.

Regards

What is a list of appendices in LaTeX?

A list of appendices in LaTeX is a section at the end of a document that includes additional information or data that supports the main content of the document. It is typically used in academic or technical writing to provide supplementary material that may be too lengthy or detailed to include in the main body of the document.

How do I create a list of appendices in LaTeX?

To create a list of appendices in LaTeX, you can use the command \appendix after the \end{document} command in your document. This will create a new section for the appendices, and any subsequent chapters or sections will be labeled as appendices. You can also use the package \usepackage{appendix} to customize the formatting and labeling of the appendices.

What should be included in a list of appendices in LaTeX?

A list of appendices in LaTeX should include all of the supplementary material that is referenced in the main body of the document. This can include figures, tables, charts, data sets, code snippets, or any other relevant information that supports the main content. Each appendix should also have a title or heading for easy navigation.

How do I reference the appendices in my document?

To reference the appendices in your document, you can use the command \ref{appendix:label} where "label" is the label assigned to each appendix. This will automatically number and label the appendices in the order they appear in the document. You can also use the package \usepackage{cleveref} to customize the formatting of the appendix references.

Can I include multiple lists of appendices in one document?

Yes, you can include multiple lists of appendices in one document by using the command \begin{appendices} and \end{appendices} to separate the different sets of appendices. This is useful if you have different types of supplementary material, such as figures and code, that you want to group together in separate lists. Just make sure to use unique labels for each appendix within each list.