Lake Michigan in Winter: Temperature, Freezing & Ice Fishing

• Thread starter graphicer89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lake Point
In summary, Lake Michigan is located in a cold climate and is approximately 494 km long and 190 km wide with a depth of 281 meters. The freezing point of water is 4 degrees Celsius and during winter, the bottom of the lake is usually at this temperature while the surface water may cool off to around freezing. The process of ice melting requires the lake to absorb energy and the amount of energy needed can be found online. The surface water tends to stay in the top levels and freeze first due to its lower density. The deeper parts of the lake take longer to freeze because they have more stored heat. The water at the bottom of the lake is always at 4 degrees Celsius because it is the densest and will always sink
graphicer89
Basically Lake Michigan is located in a relatively cold climate. Its around 494 km long and 190 km at its widest and with a depth of 281 meters...

From what i understand about water freezing in lakes...4 C was probably the temperature at the bottom of the lake , also winter isn't long enough for the whole lake to reach 4 C only just the bottom...

What i need help with understanding is...

If during the winter months the entire lake ISNT covered with ice, but near the shore, ice does form sufficiently thick for ice fishing ...Why is that??

...Is it because the edges are not really deep which allows for quicker freezing? ...or can you please explain why because i have no clue??:confused:

Does the lake need to absorb or lose energy for the ice to melt? how much of an energy change must the lake undergo for each gram of ice melted?

...My guess is that the lake needs to absorb energy but i an confused on the energy change...does it require 80 calories for ice to melt or does it require 80 plus 100 = 180 calories for the ice to melt into water? :confused:

Would the process of the ice melting change the temperature of the lake? Why or why not?

...I would give an answer but i don't have a clue...can you please help me understand any of these?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Indeed fresh water is most at 4 degrees Celsius and the amount of energy required to freeze one kg of water can be found somewhere on the net, googling for instance this.

So the surface water may cool off to around freezing, expands in the process hence gets less dense and hence tends to stay in the top levels of the water, that's why water freezes on top versus for instance, which that solidifies at the bottom first.

During the first stage of the winter, the water temp of the surface is probably above 4 degrees, so while it cools at the suface, it tends to sink, forcing deeper (relatively warmer) water up, which preclude a quick freezing. Obviously this process can take a while.

Eventually, perhaps when most of the water is colder than 4 degrees, this convective overturning would probably stop and surface freezing could start. But if natural currents and/or wind keep the water in motion (overturning), then the cooling surface water is continuously replaced by deeper and warmer water.

Obviously the deepest part of a lake having the most heat stored undertneath is likely taking th longest to freeze over.

I know this is an old topic, but as a tangential question, why does the water only reach 4°C at the bottom of the lakes and doesn't drop below that? Is it because it's not cold enough for the lake to freeze down to the bottom and the densest portion of the water is always found there?

Water is densest at 4°C (somewhat of an anomaly due to the molecular structure of H2O). So water at temeratures BOTH above and below 4°C will be less dense and float upwards. Therefore 4°C water will always be at the bottom of the lake.

Of course it is possible for the whole lake to freeze all the way to the bottom, but in a large lake that would take very long, especially since the ice layer on top isolates against the cold air above.

Thanks, that's what I figured.

1. What is the average temperature of Lake Michigan during winter?

The average temperature of Lake Michigan during winter is around 30 degrees Fahrenheit. However, this can vary depending on the location and weather conditions.

2. Does Lake Michigan freeze over in the winter?

Yes, Lake Michigan does freeze over in the winter. The extent of the freezing can vary from year to year, but typically the shallow areas near the shore freeze first and then gradually the rest of the lake freezes over.

3. Is it safe to walk on Lake Michigan when it is frozen?

No, it is not safe to walk on Lake Michigan when it is frozen. Even though it may seem solid, the ice can be unpredictable and thin in some areas. It is always best to stay off the ice and observe from a safe distance.

4. Can you go ice fishing on Lake Michigan during winter?

Yes, ice fishing is a popular activity on Lake Michigan during the winter months. However, it is important to always check the ice thickness and conditions before venturing out onto the lake.

5. What are the potential dangers of ice fishing on Lake Michigan?

The main danger of ice fishing on Lake Michigan is falling through the ice. It is important to always check the ice conditions and never go out alone. Other dangers include hypothermia and frostbite, so it is important to dress appropriately and have proper safety equipment on hand.