Equilibrium constant varying with temperature but confused

In summary, the conversation discusses a separation science lab report involving the equilibrium of the tri-iodide ion dissociating into iodine and iodide. The person has data for the equilibrium constant at room temperature and is asked to calculate it at 25 degrees C using the Van't Hoff equation. They also mention using the enthalpy and Hess's Law, but it is suggested to use experimental data and the Van't Hoff equation to calculate the enthalpy of formation.
pyridine

Homework Statement

OK. so i have a separation science lab report write up to do which involves the equilibrium of the tri-iodide ion dissociating into iodine and iodide. I know the concentrations at room temperature (which is very cold, about 10 degrees C, where i come from!), and thus the equilibrium constant. I then am asked to work out the equilibrium constant, K, at 25 degrees C. I know no other data, except a table of logK values for 0, 10, 20, 30, and 40 degrees C.

Homework Equations

equilibrium for I3-:

I2+I- <---> I3-

The Attempt at a Solution

I think you use the Van't Hoff equation, but i don't know the enthalpy...
Van't Hoff equation= Log(K1/K2) = enthalpy/R(1/T1-1/T2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Many times you can calculate the change in enthalpy for a reaction by using Hess's Law. You would just need to look up the standard enthalpies of formation for the products and reactants (which can usually be found in the appendices of most general chemistry textbooks).

Also, I assume you mean the product is I3- or else the equation is not balanced.

Yep, the product is tri iodide...i just put the superscript in the wrong place...
It's complex because I can't find the standard enthalpy of formation of iodine in the aqueous state, or the standard enthalpy of formation of tri iodide.

Actually, you don't need to look up the enthalpy of formation. You can use your experimental data and the Van't Hoff equation to solve for the enthalpy of formation. If you plot ln K versus 1/T, the slope of the line will give you a value related to ΔH (I'm not going to specify how it's related, because you should derive the relationship yourself).

1. Why does the equilibrium constant vary with temperature?

The equilibrium constant, represented by the symbol K, is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. This ratio is influenced by temperature because temperature affects the rate of the forward and reverse reactions. As temperature increases, the rate of the forward reaction increases, resulting in a higher concentration of products and a higher K value. On the other hand, as temperature decreases, the rate of the reverse reaction increases, resulting in a lower concentration of products and a lower K value.

2. How does the equilibrium constant change with temperature?

The equilibrium constant, K, is directly proportional to temperature. This means that as temperature increases, K increases, and as temperature decreases, K decreases. The exact relationship between K and temperature is determined by the thermodynamics of the specific reaction.

3. Can the equilibrium constant vary with temperature in both directions?

Yes, the equilibrium constant can vary with temperature in both directions. As the temperature increases, the equilibrium constant can increase or decrease depending on the specific reaction. This is because some reactions are endothermic (absorb heat) and others are exothermic (release heat), which can affect the equilibrium constant differently with temperature changes.

4. How can I predict the change in equilibrium constant with temperature?

The change in equilibrium constant with temperature can be predicted using the van't Hoff equation, which relates the equilibrium constant to temperature and the change in enthalpy (ΔH) of the reaction. This equation can be used to calculate the equilibrium constant at different temperatures, as well as to determine the direction of the change (increase or decrease) in K with temperature.

5. Why does the change in equilibrium constant with temperature confuse me?

The change in equilibrium constant with temperature can be confusing because it goes against our intuition that a constant value should remain the same regardless of external factors. Additionally, the relationship between K and temperature can vary depending on the specific reaction, making it difficult to generalize. It is important to remember that the change in K with temperature is a result of the underlying thermodynamics of the reaction and can be predicted using the van't Hoff equation.