Why Can't My Networked Computers Connect for Mathematica Parallel Kernels?

In summary, the conversation is about two networked computers with MM7 setup but unable to see each other when remote services are enabled. The speaker shares their experience with a similar issue and mentions that manually launching the slave kernels did not help. They suspect it may be a network issue and do not want to troubleshoot it at the moment.
FunkyDwarf
Hey guys,

I have MM7 setup on two networked computers (can see each other fine in network neighbourhood) but when i enabe remote services on both of them, neither see the other computer. Any ideas? =(

Cheers
-G

Physics news on Phys.org
I did something similar several years ago. I cannot remember the details, but I do remember that I was never able to get the daemon set up to work remotely. I had to log on to each computer and manually launch the slave kernels.

Hmm yeah i went and launched the parallel kernels on the host manually, didnt seem to help. I have a feeling its more a network issue though as I am getting some strange IP behaviour but i don't want to mess with it until i have time to fix stuff i break along the way =)

1. What is Mathematica parallel kernels?

Mathematica parallel kernels is a feature in the Mathematica software that allows for parallel computation. It enables multiple processors to work together on a single task, which can significantly speed up calculations and simulations.

2. How does Mathematica parallel kernels work?

Mathematica parallel kernels work by dividing a task into smaller subtasks and distributing them among the available processors. Each processor then works on its assigned subtask, and the results are combined at the end to give the final result. This allows for faster execution of complex computations.

3. How many parallel kernels can Mathematica support?

The number of parallel kernels that Mathematica can support depends on the version of the software and the capabilities of the computer. However, in most cases, it can support up to 64 parallel kernels, which can significantly enhance the speed and efficiency of computations.

4. Can I control the number of parallel kernels used in Mathematica?

Yes, you can control the number of parallel kernels used in Mathematica by setting the "Parallelization" option. You can specify the number of kernels you want to use, or you can let Mathematica automatically choose the optimal number based on your computer's capabilities.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica parallel kernels?

Yes, there are some limitations to using Mathematica parallel kernels. One limitation is that not all calculations can be parallelized, so not all tasks can benefit from using parallel kernels. Additionally, using parallel kernels may also require additional memory and may not always result in faster computation, depending on the task at hand.