Can We Reach the Speed of Light?

In summary, a theoretical tower that is far out enough could break the speed of light. However, because of relativity, the tower would be seen as a spiral from the ground.
mlip
I don't know the formula that I would need to use in order to calculate the exact length needed to reach, or even break the speed of light, but in theory isn't this possible? Wouldnt the outer-most point of the tower be rotating with such a high velocity that it could break the speed of light, assuming it was far out enough? :surprise:

Science news on Phys.org
No, because even without the practical difficulties with real matter, relativity woould modify the tower all along its length to keep the tip from exceeding the speed of light. I think the tower would be seen from the ground as curled into a spiral.

Relativity can't be fooled.

Cool that's really a neat idea and a neat solution. I wonder how would the Earth appear to someone on top of the tower though.

You are assuming that your tower would be of rigid material- even theoretically, in relativity there is no rigid material.

But in space you wouldn't need to deal with friction or anything of the sort, why would the material need to be rigid, what kind of g forces would it need to deal with?

But in space you wouldn't need to deal with friction or anything of the sort, why would the material need to be rigid, what kind of g forces would it need to deal with?

Thinking back to Newton's second law, a force causes an acceleration. An acceleration is anything that changes the velocity of an object. The particles making up the tower are undergoing changes in velocity since they are rotating with the same angular velocity of the earth. The forces causing these accelerations are provided by the tower, so yes the tower would need to be rigid, or it would bend.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't agree. I think it would not be possible because of conservation of angular momentum and relativistic mass increase.

note also that all the atoms that make up the structure of the tower are held together as a result of electromagnetic interactions between the atoms. This means the maximum speed of interaction between adjacent atoms is c, so the top end of the tower would just get ripped off.

1. Can humans ever reach the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to reach the speed of light. As an object's velocity approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate to the speed of light.

2. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter 'c', is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. It is considered to be the fastest speed at which energy and information can travel in the universe.

3. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

Based on current scientific understanding, it is not possible for anything to travel faster than the speed of light. The speed of light is seen as a fundamental limit in the universe, beyond which the laws of physics break down.

4. Why is the speed of light important in physics?

The speed of light is important in physics because it is used as a fundamental constant in many equations and theories. It not only helps us understand the behavior of light, but also plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and workings of the universe.

5. Is it possible to manipulate the speed of light?

While it is not possible to change the speed of light itself, scientists have found ways to manipulate how light behaves, such as slowing it down or speeding it up in certain mediums. However, these manipulations are not changing the actual speed of light, but rather the way it interacts with other materials.