Understanding Electric Field Addition for Opposite Charges

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with understanding the math involved in adding electric fields from charges with opposite signs. They mention having trouble with drawing triangles to split up components and are unsure about the orientation of the Y axis for the negative charge. They receive advice to draw the second side of the triangle in the opposite direction and attach a picture for clarification, but the other person is confused about the six triangles at the bottom being identical.
keyfob
I'm a little confused on how the math is supposed to work out when you are adding an electric field from charges with opposite signs. Looking at the image, both of these situations should yield equivalent electric fields at that point right? I get the right answer for when the situation involves two identical charges, but when the charges are opposite i have an extra negative coefficient from the -q which messes up my calculations. I think the problem is that when I draw triangles to try and split up the components that perhaps my Y should be positive for the -q charge, but I'm not sure if/why that should be the case. Otherwise I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong...any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• electric field.png
    electric field.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi keyfob! Welcome to PF! :smile:
keyfob said:
… I think the problem is that when I draw triangles to try and split up the components that perhaps my Y should be positive for the -q charge, but I'm not sure if/why that should be the case. Otherwise I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong...any help would be appreciated.

You seem to be having drawing problems …

just draw the "second" side of the triangle the other way, so that the internal angle is 180º minus the original angle. :wink:

Thanks for the help, I'm still a little confused though... I attached an updated picture to this post, is this what you meant? Thanks again

Attachments

• electric field.png
    electric field.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 541
I don't understand … what are the 6 triangles at the bottom?

The components of the vectors in the x-y plane

But they're all the same. :redface:

1. What is the process for adding electric field vectors?

The process for adding electric field vectors involves finding the magnitude and direction of each individual electric field, and then combining them using vector addition.

2. How do you find the magnitude of an electric field vector?

The magnitude of an electric field vector can be found using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force experienced by a point charge, and q is the magnitude of the charge.

3. What is the direction of an electric field vector?

The direction of an electric field vector is the direction in which a positive point charge would move if placed in the field. This direction is always perpendicular to the equipotential lines and points towards the negative charge.

4. Can you add electric field vectors that have different directions?

Yes, electric field vectors with different directions can be added using vector addition. The resultant vector will have a magnitude and direction determined by the individual vectors.

5. How do you represent electric field vectors visually?

Electric field vectors can be represented visually using arrows, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the electric field and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the electric field.