Math PhD prospects in industry

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a math PhD with a focus on PDEs and mathematical physics, but is also interested in fields such as kinetic theory, statistical mechanics, and QFT. They are seeking advice on how this may affect their employability in industry, and it is recommended to have programming skills in languages like C++ or computer packages like MATLAB and R. Undergraduate teaching experience is also beneficial, as the ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical individuals is valued in industry. However, the individual should focus on applying programming skills in their graduate studies rather than taking undergraduate courses. The current state of the math-finance world is also discussed, with potential job opportunities for a math PhD with good programming skills from a top
Geometrick
I have some questions about what direction to take in grad school. First of all, I don't really think I'm going to pursue the academia route. With this being the case, I'm wondering what a math PhD's prospects in industry are.

I plan on pursuing PDEs and mathematical physics. Some of the professors at my school are very applied, I would definitely consider doing something in kinetic theory or statistical mechanics, but I would love to do something in QFT and PDEs. How will this affect my employability? I actually wanted to also take some Probability and maybe even work in Statistical Mechanics.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It helps a lot to get a job in industry if you have some C++ programming skills. Failing that, being good with computer packages like MATLAB or R will greatly increase your employability.

One other thing that will help is undergraduate teaching. Something that influences what mathematical techniques do get used in industry is how well you can explain them to non-technical people. For example, mathematical techniques that involve monte-carlo simulations or Markov chains tend to be used a lot in finance, because you can easily explain what's going on to someone who doesn't have a lot of technical background. Things that involve QFT tend to be less used because it's harder for non-technical people to understand.

twofish-quant said:
It helps a lot to get a job in industry if you have some C++ programming skills. Failing that, being good with computer packages like MATLAB or R will greatly increase your employability.

One other thing that will help is undergraduate teaching. Something that influences what mathematical techniques do get used in industry is how well you can explain them to non-technical people. For example, mathematical techniques that involve monte-carlo simulations or Markov chains tend to be used a lot in finance, because you can easily explain what's going on to someone who doesn't have a lot of technical background. Things that involve QFT tend to be less used because it's harder for non-technical people to understand.

Hmm I see. I think once I pass my prelims I will take some programming courses, who cares if they are undergrad courses, I need to start somewhere.

I thought the math-finance world was really on the decline? How easy would it be for a math PhD from a top 15 program with good programming skills to get a job in math-finance or quant analysis?

It's my opinion that programming classes may not be the way to go. You can learn everything they teach in a fourth the time on your own and employers will want to know whether you can actually apply whatever you've learned anyways.

What would really get you traction is to be able to show some programming applied in your graduate studies. Saying you taught yourself the language and used it will be far more impressive than saying you took some undergrad class.

What is the demand for Math PhDs in industry?

The demand for Math PhDs in industry varies depending on the specific industry and job market. However, in general, there is a growing demand for individuals with strong mathematical skills and analytical thinking in industries such as finance, technology, data science, and consulting.

What types of jobs can Math PhDs pursue in industry?

Math PhDs can pursue a wide range of jobs in industry, including data scientist, quantitative analyst, financial analyst, risk analyst, operations research analyst, and management consultant. They can also work in research and development roles in various industries.

What skills do Math PhDs need to be successful in industry?

In addition to strong mathematical skills, Math PhDs need to have excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills. They should also have programming experience and the ability to effectively communicate complex ideas to non-technical colleagues.

Is industry experience necessary for Math PhDs?

While industry experience can be valuable, it is not always necessary for Math PhDs to have prior work experience in the industry they are interested in. Many companies are interested in hiring individuals with strong mathematical and analytical skills, regardless of their previous industry experience.

What are the benefits of pursuing a Math PhD in industry?

Pursuing a Math PhD in industry can lead to a fulfilling and financially rewarding career. It allows individuals to apply their advanced mathematical skills to real-world problems and provides opportunities for professional growth and development. Additionally, many companies offer competitive salaries and benefits to attract top talent with advanced degrees.