Projectiles Problem - hardest physics problem I have ever faced

In summary, the bomber must set its telescopic sight at an angle of 45 degrees from the vertical in order to hit its target.
lolzwhut?
Ok, here are the last 2 problems of my practice packet. I honestly, have no clue on the face of Earth how to even get started. If someone can guide me through a procedure. Tell me what to do, I can complete it myself. Honestly right now, i have no clue how to even start this problem. There are 2 parts to it!

Homework Statement

A bomber flies horizontally with a speed of 284 m/s relative to the ground. The altitude of the bomber is 1470 m and the terrain is level. Neglect the effects of air resistance.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

A) How far from the point vertically under the point of release does a bomb hit the ground.

Answer in units of m.

Horizontal Speed: 284 m/s
Altitude: 1470 m
Acceleration of g: 9.8 m/s^2

Homework Equations

NO CLUE, I AM REALLY CONFUSED!

The Attempt at a Solution

I AM CONFUSED, what should I start this problem off by?

[Part 2]

Homework Statement

At what angle from the vertical at the point of release must the telescopic bomb sight be set so that the bomb hits the target seen in the sight at the time of release? Answer in units of degrees.

Homework Equations

I believe in this part I have to take the arc tangent. But I'm not sure of what because I do not know how to do the first part. Please help!

The Attempt at a Solution

Need help on the first part to solve this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think problem asks you to find the distance in x-axis between the initial point (when bomber is realsed) and the point when it hit the ground. Because you have speed in x-axis, you just need time t to find distance. When released, vertical speed is zero (v0y = 0) and you have altitude (h = 1470m), now you can try to find vertically termin speed => t.

p/s: i am thinking about p2...

ApexOfDE said:
I think problem asks you to find the distance in x-axis between the initial point (when bomber is realsed) and the point when it hit the ground. Because you have speed in x-axis, you just need time t to find distance. When released, vertical speed is zero (v0y = 0) and you have altitude (h = 1470m), now you can try to find vertically termin speed => t.

p/s: i am thinking about p2...

I'm still not clear about the concept :S

So since it wants us to the find the Yfinal after finding time and distance?

No, it asks you find the distance between 2 points in x-axis (horizontal). The former is the point the bomb released (x = x0, y = 1470m) and the latter is the point the bomb hit the ground (x = x(t), y = 0).

What formula am i supposed to use for that?

Displacement formula?

can you calculate vy(t) if you have vy0, h and g?

ApexOfDE said:
can you calculate vy(t) if you have vy0, h and g?

need acceleration, and time?

When the bomb is dropped, it will have a velocity of 284 m/s, which will be SOLELY horizontal. Because of independent superposition, the fall of the bomb will not be affected by its horizontal movement. Therefore, solve for the time that the bomb will take to reach the ground as if it were in free fall, and multiply the time by its horizontal velocity to obtain the horizontal distance traveled.

You know this formula: v(t)^2 - v0^2 = 2as, don't you? Use it to find v(t) and remember that this v is a vertical speed.

1. What is a projectiles problem?

A projectiles problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air, such as a ball or a bullet. It requires knowledge of projectile motion, which is the study of how objects move through the air under the influence of gravity.

2. What makes the projectiles problem the hardest physics problem?

The projectiles problem is often considered the hardest physics problem because it involves multiple concepts and requires a deep understanding of projectile motion, forces, and kinematics. It also involves complex mathematical calculations and can be challenging to visualize and solve.

3. How do you approach solving a projectiles problem?

The key to solving a projectiles problem is breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying the initial and final conditions of the object's motion, such as its initial velocity, angle of launch, and final height. Then, use the equations of projectile motion to calculate the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in its trajectory.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a projectiles problem?

One common mistake when solving a projectiles problem is forgetting to consider the effects of air resistance or assuming that it is negligible. Another mistake is using incorrect units or not converting units properly when plugging values into equations. It is also essential to pay attention to the direction of vectors and use appropriate signs in calculations.

5. How can understanding projectiles problems benefit us in real life?

Understanding projectiles problems can help us in various fields, such as engineering, sports, and military applications. For example, engineers use projectile motion to design and test objects that are launched into the air, such as rockets or projectiles. In sports, knowledge of projectile motion can help athletes improve their performance, such as a basketball player calculating their shot trajectory. In the military, projectiles problems are essential for designing and aiming weapons and understanding the effects of different types of ammunition.