Need help on a problem F=ma and i have gravity

In summary, an object with a mass of 295kg is falling with an acceleration of 75m/s^2 and the force of the collision is being questioned. However, the given acceleration figure may be incorrect as the rate of gravity for falling objects is not 75m/s^2. If the acceleration is correct, the weight of the object can be calculated using F = ma = 22,125 Nt. It is also possible that the problem is asking for the energy of the collision, which can be calculated using E = (1/2)mv^2.
wash
F=?
m=295kg
a=75m/s^2

an object is falling with a mass 295kg and has an acceleration of 75m/s^2 what is the force of the collision.

F=295(75 * or + gravity)

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the wrong idea about how to solve the problem.

Hey Ernest, help him/her out, and in doing so help me out. I'm curious how that would be figured.

FYI... Haven't yet gotten beyond algebra..

I'm sorry, I can't. It's homework. But I will give you a hint. The rate to which gravity accelerates falling objects is not 75 m/s2. If the problem has been correctly copied, then that hint should help

Assuming that the acceleration figure is correct, which implies that the object is falling somewhere with a much higher gravitational attraction, the weight of the object is given by F = ma = 295kg *75 m/s^2 = 22,125 Nt.

The wording suggests that what might really be asked for is the energy of the collision, or E = (1/2)mv^2.

wash, can you post the exact wording of the problem?

1. What is the formula for F=ma?

The formula for F=ma is used to calculate the force exerted on an object. It states that force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.

2. How do I solve a problem using F=ma?

To solve a problem using F=ma, you will need to know the mass of the object and its acceleration. Then, simply plug those values into the formula and solve for the force.

3. What is the significance of gravity in F=ma?

Gravity is a force that acts upon objects and is a crucial component in the formula F=ma. This is because gravity affects the acceleration of an object due to the Earth's gravitational pull.

4. Can F=ma be used to solve problems with other forces besides gravity?

Yes, F=ma can be used to solve problems with other forces besides gravity. The formula can be applied to any situation where a force is acting upon an object and causing it to accelerate.

5. Are there any common mistakes made when using F=ma?

One common mistake when using F=ma is forgetting to convert units to the correct system (e.g. using kilograms for mass and meters per second squared for acceleration). It is important to use the same unit system for all values in order to get an accurate result.