Calculating Bird's Speed After Swallowing an Insect

• Thread starter Dark Visitor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the problem involves a bird and an insect with different masses and velocities, and the question is about the bird's speed after swallowing the insect. The incorrect use of the equation Vf = (MVi)/Mf is mentioned, and the correct approach of applying conservation of momentum is suggested. The possibility of the bird's speed not changing after swallowing the insect is also discussed, but further clarification is needed on determining the initial and final momentums.
Dark Visitor
I attempted this problem, and got it wrong. I am a little lost on what I am doing wrong. Any help would be nice. It is due tonight.

Problem: A 300 g bird flying along at 6.4 m/s sees a 10 g insect heading straight toward it with a speed of 33 m/s (as measured by an observer on the ground, not by the bird). The bird opens its mouth wide and enjoys a nice lunch. What is the bird's speed immediately after swallowing?

For my wrong answer, I used the equation Vf = (MVi)/Mf, which game me ((.3 kg)(6.4 m/s))/.31 kg, which was wrong. (Lowercase letters should be subscripts)

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the initial and final momentums and apply, as you already have the conservation of momentum.

Make sure you consider everything in the system, the equation you posted is wrong in this situation.

My next thought is that it doesn't change. The speed of the bird stays 6.4 m/s. But I am not sure if that is right either.

I tried what I said, and it was wrong too, but I thought I would try anyways.

When you say I have the initial and final momentums, how do you get the final and initial? Is the initial speed for the bird, which I would say it is?

What is the "Bird's Speed After Swallowing" phenomenon?

The "Bird's Speed After Swallowing" phenomenon refers to the commonly held belief that a bird's speed increases after it swallows food.

Is there any scientific evidence to support this phenomenon?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea that a bird's speed increases after swallowing food. This idea is based on anecdotal observations and has not been studied or proven by scientific research.

What factors could contribute to the belief in this phenomenon?

One possible factor is the perception that birds fly faster after consuming food, as they may be flying more actively in search of food. Additionally, birds may appear to fly faster after swallowing due to the sudden change in body shape caused by the food moving through their esophagus.

Have any studies been conducted to investigate this phenomenon?

To date, there have been no scientific studies specifically focused on the "Bird's Speed After Swallowing" phenomenon. However, there have been studies on avian flight mechanics and feeding behaviors that may indirectly shed light on this topic.

What are some alternative explanations for the perceived increase in bird speed after swallowing?

One possible alternative explanation is that the bird may simply be flying faster or more actively due to external stimuli or natural behaviors. Additionally, it could be a mere coincidence that the bird appears to fly faster after swallowing food. Further research is needed to fully understand the cause of this phenomenon.