Finding the Adjoint of an Infinite Hilbert Space Operator

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the conversation involves finding the adjoint of an operator on an infinite Hilbert space, with the operator defined as Oei=ei+1. The speaker has already found the adjoint and is now trying to prove that the operator and its adjoint multiplied together equals 1. It is suggested that this can be done by showing that O*O = 1 in the same manner as O*ei= ei-1.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi guys

I have the following operator on an infinite Hilbert space: Oei=ei+1, where i is a positive integer and ei are the orthonormal vectors that span the space. I have to find the adjoint of this operator.

For two arbitrary vectors x and z, I have found (Ox,z), and I have to find the O* (the adjoint) such that (Ox,z)=(x,O*z). This gives me that O*ei=ei-1.

Now I have to show that OO* = 1. How can I go about doing that?

Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've done the hard work, that's trivial now! For any basis vector ei, O*ei= ei_1 so OO*ei= Oei-1= e(i-1)+1= ei.

You can show that O*O = 1 in exactly the same way.

1. What is the adjoint of an operator?

The adjoint of an operator is a mathematical concept in linear algebra that represents the transpose of the operator. It is also known as the conjugate transpose, and is denoted by an asterisk (*). In other words, the adjoint of an operator is the operator that gives the same result when multiplied by the original operator and its corresponding complex conjugate.

2. How is the adjoint of an operator related to its Hermitian conjugate?

The adjoint of an operator is closely related to its Hermitian conjugate. In fact, the Hermitian conjugate of an operator is equal to its adjoint if the operator is self-adjoint. This means that the operator and its adjoint have the same eigenvectors and corresponding eigenvalues, making them symmetrical to each other.

3. What is the significance of the adjoint of an operator in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the adjoint of an operator plays a crucial role in determining the probability of a quantum state evolving from one state to another. It is used to calculate the inner product of two quantum states, which is essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and predicting their outcomes.

4. How is the adjoint of an operator calculated?

The calculation of the adjoint of an operator depends on its representation. In finite-dimensional vector spaces, the adjoint of an operator can be found by taking the conjugate transpose of its matrix representation. In infinite-dimensional spaces, the adjoint can be found by using the Riesz representation theorem, which states that the adjoint of an operator is the operator that maps the dual space to the original space.

5. What is the difference between the adjoint and inverse of an operator?

The adjoint of an operator is not the same as its inverse. The adjoint represents the transpose of an operator, while the inverse represents the reciprocal of an operator. In other words, the adjoint of an operator is used to calculate the inner product, while the inverse is used to find the multiplicative inverse of an operator. Additionally, the inverse only exists for invertible operators, while the adjoint exists for all operators.