Dis/Charging capacitor in time varying electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the capacitive current in a circuit where the electric field is determined by a random function and the usual formula for capacitive current is not applicable. The speaker suggests measuring the charge on the capacitor as a function of time by using a step function for the emf. The conversation then delves into the calculation of the charge in different time intervals and seeks help for the third time interval where the capacitor needs to discharge slightly.
Apteronotus
I'm interested in calculating the capacitive current when the electric field across a capacitor is given by a random function. The randomness of the electric field deems the usual [tex]I_c=C\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex] useless; since the derivative of a random function [tex]V[/tex] cannot be calculated.

To approach the problem in another way, I'd like to calculate the charge [tex]q(t)[/tex] on a capacitor in an RC circuit when the emf is given by a step function:
[tex]V(t)=V_1[/tex] for [tex]t\in(0,t_1)[/tex]
[tex]V(t)=V_2[/tex] for [tex]t\in(t_1,t_2)[/tex]
and
[tex]V(t)=V_3[/tex] for [tex]t\in(t_2,t_3)[/tex]
where
[tex]V_1<V_3<V_2[/tex]
I've calculated the charge [tex]q(t)[/tex] for [tex]t\in(t_1,t_2)[/tex] to be
[tex]q(t)=q_1+C(V_2-V1)(1-e^{\frac{t_1-t}{RC}})[/tex]
but am having a difficult time deriving the charge in the interval [tex](t_2,t_3)[/tex].

If anyone can help me with either of the problems I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apteronotus said:
I'm interested in calculating the capacitive current when the electric field across a capacitor is given by a random function. The randomness of the electric field deems the usual [tex]I_c=C\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex] useless; since the derivative of a random function [tex]V[/tex] cannot be calculated.

To approach the problem in another way, I'd like to calculate the charge [tex]q(t)[/tex] on a capacitor in an RC circuit when the emf is given by a step function:
[tex]V(t)=V_1[/tex] for [tex]t\in(0,t_1)[/tex]
[tex]V(t)=V_2[/tex] for [tex]t\in(t_1,t_2)[/tex]
and
[tex]V(t)=V_3[/tex] for [tex]t\in(t_2,t_3)[/tex]
where
[tex]V_1<V_3<V_2[/tex]
I've calculated the charge [tex]q(t)[/tex] for [tex]t\in(t_1,t_2)[/tex] to be
[tex]q(t)=q_1+C(V_2-V1)(1-e^{\frac{t_1-t}{RC}})[/tex]
but am having a difficult time deriving the charge in the interval [tex](t_2,t_3)[/tex].

If anyone can help me with either of the problems I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks.

I'm not understanding the setup yet. The electric field between the plates is determined by the plate voltage difference. Are you suggesting somehow to change that?

Hi Berkeman,

Lets simply suppose we have an RC circuit connected to a voltage device (battery).
For the first time interval [tex](0,t_1)[/tex] the battery voltage is [tex]V_1[/tex] for the second interval [tex](t_1,t_2)[/tex] the voltage is [tex]V_2[/tex] and so on...

I want to measure the the amount of charge that would accumulate on the capacitor as a function of time.

For the first time interval, we simply have
[tex]q(t)=CV_1(1-e^{-\frac{t}{RC}})[/tex]
for the second time interval we'd get
[tex]q(t)=CV_1(1-e^{-\frac{t_1}{RC}}) + C(V_2-V_1)(1-e^{-\frac{t_1-t}{RC}})[/tex]

now considering that [tex]V_3<V_2[/tex] the capacitor need to discharge slightly.
So what is q(t) in the third time interval?

Thanks.

Apteronotus said:
Hi Berkeman,

Lets simply suppose we have an RC circuit connected to a voltage device (battery).
For the first time interval [tex](0,t_1)[/tex] the battery voltage is [tex]V_1[/tex] for the second interval [tex](t_1,t_2)[/tex] the voltage is [tex]V_2[/tex] and so on...

I want to measure the the amount of charge that would accumulate on the capacitor as a function of time.

For the first time interval, we simply have
[tex]q(t)=CV_1(1-e^{-\frac{t}{RC}})[/tex]
for the second time interval we'd get
[tex]q(t)=CV_1(1-e^{-\frac{t_1}{RC}}) + C(V_2-V_1)(1-e^{-\frac{t_1-t}{RC}})[/tex]

now considering that [tex]V_3<V_2[/tex] the capacitor need to discharge slightly.
So what is q(t) in the third time interval?

Thanks.

It looks like you are on the right track. Just do what you did fror the 2nd equation. Fix the 2nd term at t2 to make hold whatever it was at at the end of t2, and write a similar 3rd equation with the voltage difference with respect to that fixed 2nd term. The capacitor sort of has "memory" in that it is storing some amount of charge, based on its past histopry and the Vn voltages and tn time intervals.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a passive electrical component that stores energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, an electric charge builds up on them, creating an electric field between them.

2. How does a capacitor discharge in a time-varying electric field?

When a capacitor is placed in a time-varying electric field, the electric charges on the plates will experience a changing force. This force causes the charges to move, resulting in a flow of current. As the charges move, the capacitor discharges, releasing the stored energy in the form of electrical current.

3. Why is it important to consider time-varying electric fields when charging or discharging a capacitor?

Time-varying electric fields can significantly affect the behavior of a capacitor. In a constant electric field, the capacitor will reach a steady state where the charges on the plates do not change. However, in a time-varying electric field, the charges will be in constant motion, resulting in a continuously changing electric field and current flow.

4. How does the capacitance of a capacitor affect its charging and discharging in a time-varying electric field?

The capacitance of a capacitor is a measure of its ability to store electric charge. A higher capacitance means that the capacitor can store more charge, resulting in a larger current flow and a longer charging or discharging time. In a time-varying electric field, a higher capacitance can also lead to a greater change in voltage, as the charges are able to flow more easily.

5. Can a capacitor be charged and discharged simultaneously in a time-varying electric field?

No, a capacitor cannot be charged and discharged at the same time. When a capacitor is charging, the electric field between the plates is increasing, while the field decreases during discharging. Therefore, the two processes cannot occur simultaneously. However, in some cases, a capacitor can be both charging and discharging at different points on its surface, resulting in a net charge flow in one direction.