Chemistry: Electromagnetic Wavelengths and Frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between wavelength, frequency, and energy of electromagnetic radiation. The participants initially question the contradiction between two statements regarding the source of radiation energy, but later come to understand that wavelength and frequency are not independent parameters and can both be used to express the energy of a photon. The conversation ends with a clarification that objects at higher temperatures emit more light at shorter wavelengths.
DarylMBCP
Hi guys, I was reading through some Chemistry papers when I came across these two lines; When solids are heated, they emit electromagnetic radiation over a wide range of wavelengths. The amount of radiation energy emitted by an object at a certain temperature depends on its wavelength. However, I remember reading elsewhere that the radiant energy of an electromagnetic wave increases as its frequency increases. If this is true, then the two statements are my understanding is contradictory with the two lines. Am I misinterpretting the two lines from the Chemistry papers or is there something else I am not realising? Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The frequency [itex]f[/itex] and wavelength [itex]\lambda[/itex] of light are related by [itex]\lambda f = c[/itex] where c is the speed of light.

Thanks for the help, but how can I relate that to the question? What I mean is that the two earlier equations are contradictory since one says that the energy of wave depends in its frequency while the other says that the amount of energy of the wave depends on its wavelength. Which of these is true or is my interpretation wrong? Thanks for the help anyway.

Wavelength and frequency are not independent parameters. Knowing one is equivalent to knowing the other, so you can express the energy in terms of either. For example, the energy of a photon can be written

[tex]E=hf=\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex]

where [itex]h[/itex] is Planck's constant and [itex]c[/itex] is the speed of light.

From the equation, do you mean that frequency is proportional to the energy of a type of light (like infrared of ultraviolet) while wavelength is inversely proportional so the statements that 'When solids are heated, they emit electromagnetic radiation over a wide range of wavelengths. The amount of radiation energy emitted by an object at a certain temperature depends on its wavelength' are wrong? Thanks for the help by the way.

The amount of blackbody radiation at a given wavelength depends on the object's temperature.

See Law[/url]

Objects at higher temperatures emit more light at a shorter wavelength (higher frequency).

Last edited by a moderator:
DarylMBCP said:
From the equation, do you mean that frequency is proportional to the energy of a type of light (like infrared of ultraviolet) while wavelength is inversely proportional so the statements that 'When solids are heated, they emit electromagnetic radiation over a wide range of wavelengths. The amount of radiation energy emitted by an object at a certain temperature depends on its wavelength' are wrong? Thanks for the help by the way.
No. Why would what I said imply that that statement is wrong?

Oh I get what you guys mean. I was interpretting the statements wrongly. K, thanks for the help. It's really appreciated.

1. What are electromagnetic wavelengths?

Electromagnetic wavelengths refer to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in an electromagnetic wave. They are measured in units of length, such as meters or nanometers.

2. How are wavelengths and frequency related?

Wavelength and frequency have an inverse relationship. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

3. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

4. How do electromagnetic wavelengths affect chemical reactions?

Electromagnetic wavelengths can affect chemical reactions in various ways. For example, certain wavelengths of light can be absorbed by molecules, causing them to undergo a chemical change. Additionally, different wavelengths of light can be used to selectively excite specific molecules in a reaction, leading to different products.

5. Can electromagnetic wavelengths be harmful?

Yes, some electromagnetic wavelengths can be harmful to living organisms. For example, exposure to high levels of ultraviolet radiation can cause sunburns and increase the risk of skin cancer. Similarly, exposure to high levels of X-rays and gamma rays can lead to cell damage and radiation sickness.