How to find the acceleration given time and total distance

In summary, a particle with constant acceleration changes direction at t = 4 s and reaches a position of -2 m with a velocity of -2.4 m/s at t = 10 s. To find the position when it changes direction, the average acceleration is calculated using the equation v = v0 + at. The resulting acceleration is -0.24 m/s^2. Then, the formula (x2 - x1) = v0(t2 - t1) + 0.5a(t2 - t1)^2 is used, with the given values of x2, v0, a, t2, and t1, and the unknown value of x1. The calculated position is 5.
llach

Homework Statement

A particle moving along a straight line with constant acceleration starts its motion at t = 0. The particle is observed to change the direction of motion at t = 4 s, and when t = 10 s it reaches the position of −2 m with a −2.4 m/s velocity measured from a chosen reference frame. Find the position of the particle when it changes its direction of motion.

I know the answer is 5.2 m but I don't understand how to get that at all because when I use the average acceleration it's wrong.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I got 5.68 m and I don't know whether it is correct or not
I did like this..

first I use this equation to get the acceleration:
v=v0+at
since we have v=-2.4 , t=10 and v0=0
then we got a=-0.24

then I used this formula (x2-x1)= v0(t2-t1) + 0.5a(t2-t1)^2

we have x2= -2 , v0=0 , a=-0.24 , t2=10 , t1=4 and x1 is unkown

I got 5.68 which is different from your answer :( so are u sure that the answer is 5.2?

The particle must have some initial velocity, otherwise, with constant acceleration, it could never change direction. Something is weird with this question!

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration, time, and distance?

The relationship between acceleration, time, and distance can be described by the formula: d = vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where d is the total distance traveled, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval. This formula shows that the distance traveled is directly proportional to the time and the initial velocity, and is also affected by the acceleration.

4. How can you find acceleration given time and total distance?

To find acceleration given time and total distance, you can use the formula a = 2(d - vi*t)/t^2. This formula rearranges the equation in question 3 and solves for acceleration. Make sure to use consistent units for time and distance.

5. How can you use the information about acceleration, time, and total distance in real life?

The concept of acceleration is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of a car, the force of a rocket, or the time it takes for an object to fall. Understanding the relationship between acceleration, time, and distance can also help in designing and testing new technologies, such as vehicles or roller coasters.