Systems of Linear Homogenous Differential equations with Constant Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving systems of linear homogenous differential equations with constant coefficients. It is mentioned that the solutions involve eigenvectors and eigenvalues of the coefficient matrix, and the general solution is a sum of these eigenvectors with constants. There is also a mention of the mixing of variables, which can be achieved through the use of transfer matrices.
raisin_raisin
Hello,
I am looking at different ways to solve Systems of Linear Homogenous Differential equations with Constant Coefficients that is [tex]\acute{x}=Ax[/tex] (x and x' are vectors A is a matix) then the solutions are [tex]x= \xi e^{\lambda t}[/tex] where [tex]\xi[/tex] are the eigenvectors and [tex]\lambda[/tex] the eigenvalues of A and the general solution is the sum of all the eigenvectors with constants inserted.
i.e [tex] x= c_{1}\xi^{(1)} e^{\lambda t}+c_{2}\xi^{(2)} e^{\lambda t}[/tex]

The problem I have with this is that I can't figure out how to get mixing since surely if n=2, say, then x=(x1,x2) but to get x1 you are just adding weighted amounts of x1 doesn't ever couple to x2 i.e [tex]x_{1} = c_{1}\xi^{(1)}_1 e^{\lambda t}+c_{2}\xi^{(2)}_{1} e^{\lambda t}[/tex]I assume I am being idiot but if someone could point out where I am going wrong that would be brilliant.

Thanks very much,

P.S I normally solve it like this http://physics.ucsc.edu/~peter/114A/coupled_fol.pdf if you know any links to other ways to solve them I would be grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have :
d X/dt = AX where A is a diagonalisable matrix and X a column vector.
U^-1AU=D where D is the diagonal matrix : diag(lambda_1...lambda_n)

d X/dt = AX <=>
d X/dt = UDU^-1X <=>
U^-1dX/dt = DU^-1X <=>
dY/dt = D Y with Y =U^-1X provided that A is time independant. The mixing comes from the fact the eigendirections are Y and not X : you need the transfer matrix.

1. What is a system of linear homogenous differential equations with constant coefficients?

A system of linear homogenous differential equations with constant coefficients is a set of equations that describe the relationships between multiple variables, where each equation is a linear combination of the derivatives of the variables. These equations have constant coefficients, meaning that the coefficients do not depend on the variables themselves.

2. How are systems of linear homogenous differential equations with constant coefficients solved?

These types of equations can be solved using various methods, such as substitution, elimination, and matrix algebra. The general solution is a linear combination of exponential terms, where the exponents are the roots of the characteristic equation associated with the system of equations.

3. What is the characteristic equation for a system of linear homogenous differential equations with constant coefficients?

The characteristic equation is a polynomial equation that is obtained by setting the coefficients of the derivatives in the system of equations to zero and solving for the variable. The roots of this equation determine the form of the general solution to the system of equations.

4. Can systems of linear homogenous differential equations with constant coefficients have multiple solutions?

Yes, these equations can have multiple solutions depending on the initial conditions. The general solution is a linear combination of all possible solutions, and the specific solution for a given set of initial conditions can be determined by substitution.

5. What are the applications of systems of linear homogenous differential equations with constant coefficients?

These types of equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where the relationships between multiple variables can be described by linear equations. They are useful for modeling systems that exhibit exponential growth or decay, such as population growth or radioactive decay.