Help with Electron-configuration

• Thread starter abotiz
  • Start date
In summary, the configuration of atoms is determined by various rules, such as the Pauli rule and Hund's rule, which take into account the energy levels of different sub-shells. In the case of Cr (Z=24), its configuration of ...3d54s1 is due to the anomalous stability of full and half-full sub-shells observed in nature. This can be further explained through the study of periodic trends in ionization energies.
abotiz
Hi

Iam having a little problem understaning why some atoms are configured in a certain way.

I know that each sub-shell can take 2(2l+1) electrons, so for
s->2
p->6
d->10

But why e.g does the atom, Cr (Z=24) have the configuration : ...3d54s1 rather than ...3d6 ?

I know about that electrons in d sub-shell has higher energy than s and p, ( s<p<d )

Is this something we just have to accept because we know from experiments that Cr has the total energy X, so it can't possibly have ...3d6?

Or is there some other explanation?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please refer to Pauli rule and also hund's rule..[however one rule is usually applied in electronic configuratiions]
you will get the answer.

abotiz said:
Hi

Iam having a little problem understaning why some atoms are configured in a certain way.

I know that each sub-shell can take 2(2l+1) electrons, so for
s->2
p->6
d->10

But why e.g does the atom, Cr (Z=24) have the configuration : ...3d54s1 rather than ...3d6 ?

I know about that electrons in d sub-shell has higher energy than s and p, ( s<p<d )

Is this something we just have to accept because we know from experiments that Cr has the total energy X, so it can't possibly have ...3d6?

Or is there some other explanation?

Thanks!

Yes, this is from experiment. It is known that full and half-full angular momentum sub-shells show anomalous stabilities. It is best known for the transition metals, where the atoms with s2d4 configurations spontaneously promote to s1d5 configurations ... the latter configurations are the observed ground states in nature. Half-filled p-shells (i.e. p3) are also anomalously stable, as can be seen from the details of the trends in the experimental ionization energies of the elements.

You might want to google "periodic trends", or read about them in your textbook, for more information.

@ moderator: This thread probably belongs in the chemistry forum.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Also, Thank you SpectraCat for clearing that up for me =)

What is electron configuration?

Electron configuration is the arrangement of electrons in an atom or molecule. It describes the energy levels and subshells that the electrons occupy within an atom.

Why is electron configuration important?

Electron configuration is important because it determines the chemical and physical properties of an element. It also helps us understand how atoms bond and interact with each other.

How do you write electron configuration?

Electron configuration is typically written using the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons fill the lowest energy levels first. The shorthand notation uses the symbol of the nearest noble gas in brackets, followed by the remaining subshells in order of increasing energy.

What is the purpose of electron configuration notation?

Electron configuration notation provides a concise and systematic way to represent the distribution of electrons in an atom. It also allows us to predict the reactivity and stability of elements based on their electron configurations.

How does electron configuration relate to the periodic table?

The electron configurations of elements follow a pattern that corresponds to their position on the periodic table. This pattern helps us understand the periodic trends in the properties of elements, such as atomic radius, ionization energy, and electronegativity.