Keeping Physics Fresh: Fun Summer Break Experiments

In summary, fun was had by all when doing experiments such as building a device that runs directly downwind and is powered only by the wind but travels faster than the wind.
Anael
Summer break experiment Fun!

Hey I'm a first year physics student going on summer break and i was wondering if anyone had cool physics experiments i could do to keep my physics knowledge fresh (so i don't have to do JUST problems on paper)?? and kinda get some hands-on.

Physics news on Phys.org

Maybe make a little cloud chamber and try putting strong magnets on either side to try to deflect the differently charged particles in different directions to help you find out what particles you're getting.

You might even be able to analyze collisions and find out (or assume) what particles are hitting (non-charged particles will leave no noticeable trail) and what particles come out etc.

ok, so i looked up cloud Chamber:" The cloud chamber, also known as the Wilson chamber, is used for detecting particles of ionizing radiation. In its most basic form, a cloud chamber is a sealed environment containing a supercooled, supersaturated water or alcohol vapor."

1-where and how am i supposed to supercool water (im guessing SUPERcool means very very very cold so colder then my fridge :P)
2-Ionizing radiation?? how could i generate that lol

sorry for any obvious questions that seem simple to you :P

Anael said:
ok, so i looked up cloud Chamber:" The cloud chamber, also known as the Wilson chamber, is used for detecting particles of ionizing radiation. In its most basic form, a cloud chamber is a sealed environment containing a supercooled, supersaturated water or alcohol vapor."

1-where and how am i supposed to supercool water (im guessing SUPERcool means very very very cold so colder then my fridge :P)

sorry for any obvious questions that seem simple to you :P

If all the answers were given where would the fun be?

You could build a device that runs directly downwind and is powered only by the wind but travels faster than the wind.

Anael said:
Guess again - supercooled means cooled below freezing

You can't you need nature to provide some.

Do something outdoors, unfortunately, the sunspot activity is at a minimum right now or else tracking those could be fun if you had a telescope. Something like electrolysis with solar cells is fun, and you can make Hydrogen bubbles that make a nice pop if you light them. . .

Feldoh said:
If all the answers were given where would the fun be?

touche :P good call ill figure it out :) thanks

mgb_phys said:
Guess again - supercooled means cooled below freezing

You can't you need nature to provide some.

well that simplifies it :P thanks alot

mender said:
You could build a device that runs directly downwind and is powered only by the wind but travels faster than the wind.

That sounds like an awesome fun challenge! thanks

AstroRoyale said:
Do something outdoors, unfortunately, the sunspot activity is at a minimum right now or else tracking those could be fun if you had a telescope. Something like electrolysis with solar cells is fun, and you can make Hydrogen bubbles that make a nice pop if you light them. . .

cool :) thank you!

1. What is the purpose of the "Summer break experiment Fun"?

The purpose of the "Summer break experiment Fun" is to engage students in science-related activities during their summer break to keep their minds active and promote learning outside of the classroom.

2. Who can participate in the "Summer break experiment Fun"?

The "Summer break experiment Fun" is open to all students, regardless of age or academic level. It is designed to be fun and educational for students of all backgrounds and interests.

3. What kind of experiments will be included in the "Summer break experiment Fun"?

The "Summer break experiment Fun" will include a variety of experiments from different branches of science, such as biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science. These experiments will be simple, safe, and can be done with materials easily found at home.

4. How will the "Summer break experiment Fun" benefit students?

The "Summer break experiment Fun" will benefit students by promoting critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and creativity. It will also help students develop a deeper understanding and appreciation for science, as well as keep their minds active and engaged during the summer break.

5. Is there a cost to participate in the "Summer break experiment Fun"?

No, there is no cost to participate in the "Summer break experiment Fun". All experiments and materials will be provided for free. However, students may need to gather some common household items to complete certain experiments.