Two dimensional sample space

In summary, the conversation discusses selecting two numbers, x and y, within certain ranges and determining the probability of their sum being equal to or greater than a specific value. The individual has provided a solution and is seeking feedback on its accuracy, as they are getting two different answers. They are advised to graph all three equations and use integration to find the solution.
mdnazmulh
Let’s select two numbers x and y such that 1<=x<=4 and 2<=y<=6. What is the probability of x +y>=5?
I solved the problem and attached it. Please check my solution and tell me whether my approach of solution is correct or wrong. The most puzzling matter is that I'm getting two different answers. Any suggestion would be of great help to me regarding my attempted solution. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 403
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
The thumbnails are almost unreadable.

If I'm reading what you are doing correctly, it looks like the sample space you drew is an "or" rather than an "and". That is your first picture looks like 1<x<4 "or" 2<y<6. If you do an "and" instead then you should get a box, not a tetris piece.

I think if you graph all three equations, you will see a geometric way
of getting the answer, and use integration to do it.

Your approach to solving the problem is correct. The probability of x+y>=5 can be calculated by finding the area of the region where x+y>=5 and dividing it by the total area of the sample space.

In this case, the total area of the sample space is (4-1)(6-2) = 12 units^2. The region where x+y>=5 lies above the line y=5-x in the sample space, as shown in the attached solution.

To find the area of this region, we can use the formula for the area of a triangle, which is (1/2)(base)(height). In this case, the base is (4-1) = 3 units and the height is (6-5) = 1 unit. Therefore, the area of the region is (1/2)(3)(1) = 1.5 units^2.

The probability of x+y>=5 is then calculated by dividing the area of the region by the total area of the sample space, which gives us 1.5/12 = 0.125 or 12.5%.

It is possible that you are getting two different answers due to rounding errors or a mistake in your calculations. I would suggest double-checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct formula for finding the area of the region.

What is a two dimensional sample space?

A two dimensional sample space is a type of probability space in which the outcomes of an experiment can be represented by two numerical values. It is often used in statistics and data analysis to visualize and understand the relationship between two variables.

How is a two dimensional sample space different from a one dimensional sample space?

One dimensional sample spaces only have one variable or outcome, while two dimensional sample spaces have two variables or outcomes. This allows for a more complex understanding of the relationships between the variables and their probabilities.

What are some examples of two dimensional sample spaces?

Some examples of two dimensional sample spaces include the height and weight of a group of individuals, the temperature and humidity in a specific location, and the number of hours studied and grade received on an exam.

How are probabilities calculated in a two dimensional sample space?

In a two dimensional sample space, probabilities are calculated by finding the intersection of the two variables. This can be done by dividing the number of outcomes that satisfy both conditions by the total number of outcomes in the sample space.

What is the importance of studying two dimensional sample spaces?

Studying two dimensional sample spaces allows scientists to understand the relationship between two variables and how they affect each other. This can help in making predictions, identifying patterns, and making informed decisions based on data analysis.