Divergence in spherical coordinates

In summary, using the equations given and the chain rule for differentiation, it is shown that (\nabla\cdot\textbf{v}) = 2f(r) + r\frac{df}{dr} in cylindrical coordinates. The total derivative is used to prove that r\frac{df}{dr} = r_{x}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} + r_{y}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial y}.
billiards
I am stuck on this problem.

Use these equations:

[tex]\textbf{v}(\textbf{r}) = f(r)\textbf{r}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x} = \frac{x}{r}[/tex]

And the chain rule for differentiation, show that:

[tex](\nabla\cdot\textbf{v}) = 2f(r) + r\frac{df}{dr}[/tex]
(cylindrical coordinates)

Any help greatly appreciated, I will post my progres so far in a following post.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
So far I have tried to crack this by subbing in

[tex]\textbf{v}(\textbf{r}) = f(r)\textbf{r}[/tex]

in the bottom equation I get:

[tex](\nabla\cdot f(r)\textbf{r}) = 2f(r) + r\frac{df}{dr}[/tex]

But I think that if we write out the left hand side of the equation and separate out the differentials we get this:

[tex](\nabla\cdot f(r)\textbf{r}) = r_{x}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} + f(r)\frac{\partial r_{x}}{\partial x} + r_{y}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial y} + f(r)\frac{\partial r_{y}}{\partial y}[/tex]

Which I think reduces further to:

[tex](\nabla\cdot f(r)\textbf{r}) = 2f(r) + r_{x}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} + r_{y}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial y} = 2f(r) + r\frac{df}{dr}[/tex]

Which IF that is right (and it's a big IF) basically means that I'm left to prove that:

[tex]r\frac{df}{dr} = r_{x}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} + r_{y}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial y}[/tex]

That's where I'm stuck. I have a feeling that the total derivative is needed next and I am thinking along those lines, I still haven't used the chain rule yet so I think that will come into play in the total derivative context. It could well be that I've strayed off and am heading nowhere with this, which is why I need a bit of guidance.

Thanks

I assume you know, or can prove, that for scalar f and vector V in rectangular coordinates,

[tex]\nabla\cdot f\vec V = \nabla f \cdot \vec V + f(\nabla \cdot\vec V)[/tex]

Also, I assume the standard notation

[tex]\vec r = \langle x, y \rangle,\ r = |\vec r|[/tex]

Then by the first identity

[tex]\nabla\cdot f(r)\vec r = \nabla f(r) \cdot \vec r + f(r)(\nabla \cdot \vec r)[/tex]

The only place you need the chain rule is to calculate the first term on the right.

[Edit] Corrected typos.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
I assume you know, or can prove, that for scalar f and vector V in rectangular coordinates,

[tex]\nabla\cdot f\vec V = \nabla f \cdot \vec V + f(\nabla \cdot\vec V)[/tex]

Also, I assume the standard notation

[tex]\vec r = \langle x, y \rangle,\ r = |\vec r|[/tex]

Then by the first identity

[tex]\nabla\cdot f(r)\vec r = \nabla f(r) \cdot \vec r + f(r)(\nabla \cdot \vec r)[/tex]

The only place you need the chain rule is to calculate the first term on the right.

[Edit] Corrected typos.

Thank you for your reply.

If I understand you correctly then I have more or less followed your reasoning thus far.

I am stuck on the bit you mention in your last line, I am struggling to calculate the first term on the right.

The way I see it is that

[tex]\nabla f(r) \cdot \vec r = r_{x}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} + r_{y}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial y}[/tex]

Is that correct?

That's my last line in my earlier post. How do I invoke the chain rule here to get this into the form I am after?

Thanks

billiards said:
The way I see it is that

[tex]\nabla f(r) \cdot \vec r = r_{x}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} + r_{y}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial y}[/tex]

Is that correct?

Thanks

When you differentiate f(r) with respect to, for example, x, you get f'(r)rx. And do the dot product last.

billiards said:
Which IF that is right (and it's a big IF) basically means that I'm left to prove that:

[tex]r\frac{df}{dr} = r_{x}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} + r_{y}\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial y}[/tex]

That's where I'm stuck.

Okay, I think I've got it now.

Use the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial x} = \frac{df}{dr}\times \frac{\partial r}{\partial x} [/tex]

And the result:

[tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x} = \frac{x}{r}[/tex]

To get:

[tex]r\frac{df}{dr} = r_{x}\frac{df}{dr}\frac{x}{r} + r_{y}\frac{df}{dr}\frac{y}{r}[/tex]

Now rx=x. Use this result as well as the fact that in cylindrical coordinates r2 = x2+y2,and the term on the right reduces to the term on the left. Is this OK?

Cheers

Last edited:
Yes, I think you have it figured out now.

LCKurtz said:
Yes, I think you have it figured out now.

Ahhh good. For some reason that one had me scratching my head for a while, but it seems quite simple now.

Cheers

1. What is divergence in spherical coordinates?

In physics and mathematics, divergence is a measure of the flow of a vector field through an infinitesimal surface surrounding a given point. In spherical coordinates, it represents the amount of "outwardness" of the flow at a particular point in space.

2. How is divergence calculated in spherical coordinates?

The formula for divergence in spherical coordinates is given by:

div(F) = (1/r^2)*(∂(r^2F_r)/∂r + (1/sinθ)∂(F_θ sinθ)/∂θ + (1/sinθ)∂F_ϕ/∂ϕ)

where r is the radial distance, θ is the polar angle, and ϕ is the azimuthal angle.

3. What is the physical interpretation of divergence in spherical coordinates?

The physical interpretation of divergence in spherical coordinates is the rate at which a vector field is expanding or contracting at a particular point in space. A positive divergence indicates an outward flow, while a negative divergence indicates an inward flow.

4. How is divergence used in physics and engineering?

In physics and engineering, divergence is used to describe the behavior of vector fields, such as electric and magnetic fields. It is also used in fluid mechanics to understand the flow of fluids in different directions and to calculate the net flow of a fluid through a given surface.

5. What are some applications of divergence in spherical coordinates?

Some common applications of divergence in spherical coordinates include analyzing the flow of fluids in a spherical tank, calculating the electric field at a point due to a charged sphere, and understanding the behavior of sound waves in a spherical room. It is also used in geophysics to study the flow of Earth's magnetic field and in meteorology to predict wind patterns.