A very simple stator ring question

In summary: There is no software that can help you model a stator ring with 6 coils. You would need to use a calculator to find out how many turns are needed to create a given magnetic field strength.
StephenD420
Hello all,

I am currently working on a project that requires a stator ring like the ones found in electric motors where there are 2-3phases of electromagnetic coils placed in a circular fashion with a pole pointing towards the center (look at picture below). The coils would be powered by AC current to make a rotating magnetic field as I do not think DC would create the necessary rotating magnetic field, plus every 2-3 phase motor I have seen on the web has been AC with a 3 phase switch.

I am having a hard time finding information on how to build my own stator ring. Like I do not know how to connect each coil to the others in order to make a rotating magnetic field and I cannot find a formula that tells me how many turns I will need to use to create a magnetic field of about 1.5-2 T, which is the strength I need to use since I have to also use neodymium magnets and the magnetic field strength has to be about the same for the project. since a neodymium magnet is about 1.5-2 T at its surface I need to have about that magnetic field strength using the stator.

I would appreciate any help you guys could give. Are there any websites that show how to build stator rings, how to connect the coils together and shows how many turns of coils needed for a certain magnetic field strength? Are there any books with this information? Are there any stores that I could go to and ask? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Stephen

Attachments

• stator.jpg
    stator.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 451
Engineering news on Phys.org
Although the axial flow answer I can direct to you is not exactly what you are looking for, scoraigwind.com by Hugh Piggott is an incredible resource for the DIYer. I haven't looked at it for a long time but I think he does cover radial flux designs such as you are asking for. While I'm at it, another site for super powerful magnets is Otherpower.com.
Both of these sights are commercial enterprises ( I have ABSOLUTELY no connection with them) but could offer considerable help for your project. Good luck.

Search for "brushless motors" on the net (consider starting with wiki).

I have googled brushless motors and stator rings, stator coils, etc and all of the information I have found has showed me in what order to connect the windings together but I cannot find information on how the connected windings connect to the 3-phase AC switch or how many turns in each coil I need to create a rotating magnetic field of strength 1.5-2 T as the neodymium magnets that I am also using in my project is about 1.5-2 T at its surface. Would I use the solenoid equation B=u*n*I where n is N/L for each coil of the stator? Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen

I really just need to know the formula to determine the number of turns per coil on a six coil stator ring to get a 1.3-2T rotating magnetic field and what is the 3-phase switch called that the three wires of the six coils connect to. Here is a link to what I am trying to do( The stator assembly at the top): http://www.tpub.com/neets/book5/18b.htm

and this link as well: http://www.wisc-online.com/objects/ViewObject.aspx?ID=IAU11808

Please look at these and please help and advise me on the two parts I am missing. Please note that I am not trying to build a motor, just a stator ring that creates a rotating magnetic field from a stator ring of 6 coils connected to an AC power supply that goes through phases 1,2,3 which makes the magnetic field rotate as each pair of coils is turned on to create a N and S pole on the stator ring as the AC power supply and switch goes through each of the 3 phases of the AC sine wave.

Thanks
Stephen

bump.. do you guys know of any software that I could use to model a steel stator ring with 6 coils powered by a 3-phase AC power source to find out how many windings per coil is needed to get certain magnetic field strengths?

Please help! I cannot find out how to figure out how many windings are needed!

Stephen

1. What is a stator ring and what is its purpose?

A stator ring is a component in an electric motor that is stationary and surrounds the rotor. Its purpose is to create a magnetic field that interacts with the rotor to produce movement.

2. How does a stator ring work?

The stator ring works by using an electrical current to create a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the rotor, which is attached to the motor's shaft, causing it to rotate and produce movement.

3. What materials are used to make a stator ring?

The materials used to make a stator ring can vary, but they are typically made of steel, copper, and sometimes aluminum. These materials have magnetic properties that allow for the creation of a strong magnetic field.

4. Can a stator ring be repaired or replaced?

In most cases, a stator ring cannot be repaired and must be replaced if it becomes damaged. However, some minor damage, such as small cracks, can be repaired by a trained professional. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the stator ring to prevent major damage.

5. Are there different types of stator rings?

Yes, there are different types of stator rings that vary in size, shape, and number of poles. These differences can affect the motor's speed, torque, and efficiency. The type of stator ring used depends on the specific requirements and design of the motor.