Are conserved the spin and orbital parts of the angular momentum?

In summary, the conservation of spin and orbital parts of angular momentum is not fully understood. While current theories assume that both are conserved independently, some suggest that only their sum is conserved. It is also believed that spin can transform into orbital angular momentum, which has implications for black holes and quantum gravity.
jonjacson
¿Are conserved the spin and orbital parts of the angular momentum?

For example , we have a particle decay into two photons, and you want to see if the angular momentum is conserved:

J(total angular momentum)=S(spin)+L(orbital)

The question is:

-¿only total J is conserved? (and s or l can change)

or

-¿S is conserved and L is conserved also?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

It's not known. All our theories assume that angular momentum and spin are conserved independently, but they are ready to incorporate the principle, that only the sum of the two values is conserved.

I personally think that spin can transform into orbital angular momentum. This fits nicely into black holes thermodynamics and maybe is necessary for Quantum Gravity.

haael said:
It's not known. All our theories assume that angular momentum and spin are conserved independently, but they are ready to incorporate the principle, that only the sum of the two values is conserved.

I personally think that spin can transform into orbital angular momentum. This fits nicely into black holes thermodynamics and maybe is necessary for Quantum Gravity.

I didn't know that, so I understand that the answer is yes, s and l are conserved quantities, I suppose that in the exam of nuclear and particle physics the teacher will use this.

Thanks.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is a vector quantity that depends on the mass, velocity, and distance of the object from the axis of rotation.

2. What are the two parts of angular momentum?

The two parts of angular momentum are the spin and orbital parts. The spin part is associated with the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle, while the orbital part is related to the motion of the particle around an external axis.

3. Are the spin and orbital parts of angular momentum conserved?

Yes, both the spin and orbital parts of angular momentum are conserved in isolated systems, meaning that they do not change over time as long as there are no external torques acting on the system.

4. How are the spin and orbital parts of angular momentum related?

The spin and orbital parts of angular momentum are related through the total angular momentum, which is the vector sum of the spin and orbital angular momenta. This relationship is described by the law of vector addition.

5. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of angular momentum?

Yes, there are some cases where the spin and orbital parts of angular momentum may not be conserved. Examples include systems with non-zero net torque or systems that experience external forces, such as friction. In these cases, the total angular momentum may change over time.