Cart-Cart Collision, Conservation of Momentum

In summary, a cart with a mass of 130 kg and initial velocity of 24 m/s collides with a stationary cart with a mass of 350 kg and rebounds with a speed of 4 m/s in the opposite direction. The speed of the 350 kg cart after the collision is 10.4 m/s. With respect to an observer moving in the same direction as the incoming cart with a speed of 12 m/s, the initial velocities of the two carts are 12 m/s and -12 m/s, and the final velocities are 16 m/s and -1.6 m/s respectively. The total momentum of the system before and after the collision is conserved regardless of the observer's motion, as shown
pleasehelpme6

Homework Statement

A cart (m1 = 130 kg) is moving to the right along a track at v1i = 24 m/s when it hits a stationary cart (m2 = 350 kg) and rebounds with a speed of v1f = 4 m/s in the opposite direction.

a) With what speed does the 350 kg cart move after the collision?
A: 10.4 m/s

An observer moves in the same direction as the incoming cart with a speed of 12 m/s.
Using the convention that the positive direction is to the right, what are the following velocities with respect to this observer:

b) v1i, ob... A: 12
c) v2i, ob... A: -12
d) v1f, ob... A: 16
e) v2f, ob... A: -1.6

This is the annoying part...

f) What is the total momentum of the system before the collision as seen by this moving observer?

g) What is the total momentum of the system after the collision as seen by this same observer?

Homework Equations

m1v1 = m2v2

Any thoughts on how to solve this? I'm a little lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about 1. the definition of momentum, and 2. conservation of momentum. :smile:

yeah i tried using conservation of momentum but the answers I am getting don't make sense to me. the equation doesn't even out.

the way i think of it, from a stand-still perspective, the net momentum is 0, so if youre moving at 12 m/s, shouldn't the net momentum look like -12 m/s?

i tried using the new velocities in the m1v1 = m2v2 equation, but i think i must be setting it up wrong somehow. any suggestions?

Perhaps this diagram http://yfrog.com/45pf2cj will help somewhat (sorry it's somewhat crudely been done in MS Paint) :smile:

Surely the momentum should always be the same, regardless of whether the observer is moving or not, right?! :wink:

If you take the definition:

[tex]m_{1}v_{1i}+m_{2}v_{2i} = m_{1}v_{2i}+m_{2}v_{2f}[/itex]

Using all the values calculated in the first part, you should find that both sides of the equation are equal, hence momentum is conserved.

Now if you also alternatively use the values calculated in respect to the observer, you should find that again both sides of the equation are equal and hence momentum conserved.

Try doing those, and post you're calculations if you still have any problems. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

To solve this problem, we can use the conservation of momentum principle, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. In this case, the system includes both carts and the observer.

a) According to the conservation of momentum principle, we can set the initial momentum of the system equal to the final momentum of the system. This can be written as:

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

Substituting the given values, we get:

130 kg * 24 m/s + 350 kg * 0 m/s = 130 kg * 4 m/s + 350 kg * v2f

Solving for v2f, we get:

v2f = 10.4 m/s

b) According to the observer's frame of reference, the initial velocity of the incoming cart is 12 m/s, since the observer is moving in the same direction as the cart. Therefore, v1i, ob = 12 m/s.

c) The initial velocity of the stationary cart is 0 m/s in the observer's frame of reference, since the cart is not moving relative to the observer. Therefore, v2i, ob = 0 m/s.

d) After the collision, the incoming cart has a velocity of 4 m/s in the opposite direction, but the observer is still moving at 12 m/s. Therefore, the final velocity of the incoming cart in the observer's frame of reference is v1f, ob = -12 m/s + 4 m/s = 16 m/s.

e) After the collision, the stationary cart has a velocity of 10.4 m/s in the opposite direction. But since the observer is moving in the same direction as the incoming cart, the final velocity of the stationary cart in the observer's frame of reference is v2f, ob = 12 m/s - 10.4 m/s = 1.6 m/s.

f) The total momentum of the system before the collision can be calculated by adding the individual momentums of the carts and the observer. In this case, it would be:

m1v1i + m2v2i + mv, ob = 130 kg * 24 m/s + 350 kg * 0 m/s + 12 kg * 12 m/s = 3120 kg

What is a cart-cart collision?

A cart-cart collision is a type of collision between two objects, in this case carts, in which they come into contact and exert forces on each other.

What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any external forces acting on the system.

How does conservation of momentum apply to cart-cart collisions?

In a cart-cart collision, the total momentum of the two carts before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

What factors affect the conservation of momentum in a cart-cart collision?

The mass and velocity of the two carts are the main factors that affect the conservation of momentum in a cart-cart collision. The heavier the carts and the faster they are moving, the greater the momentum and the greater the conservation of momentum will be.

Can conservation of momentum be violated in a cart-cart collision?

No, conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated in any type of collision, including cart-cart collisions. If the total momentum before the collision is not equal to the total momentum after the collision, it means that there are external forces acting on the system.