How many appliances will melt aluminum wire?

It would be helpful to also consider the resistance of the wire and how it affects the current flow.In summary, the conversation is discussing a physics lab where the goal is to determine how many appliances will melt aluminum wire in a circuit. The appliances will be connected in a parallel circuit and the current needed for each appliance will add up to the total current needed to melt the wire. It is also important to consider the resistance of the wire and how it affects the current flow.
dpbrown
so i have to do a independent lab for physics which determines how many appliances will melt aluminum wire when in a circuit.

i'm having trouble getting started with how to set everything up, does anyone know how i should go about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably the appliances are connected in parallel? How does each added appliance affect the total current drawn?

Last edited:
One appliance will do it if the aluminum wire is thin enough.

yes, it would be connected in a parallel circuit.
wouldn't the current needed for each appliance add up to the total current needed (I=I1+I2+I3...)? so you would just need to find the current needed to melt a certain thickness of wire?

dpbrown said:
yes, it would be connected in a parallel circuit.
wouldn't the current needed for each appliance add up to the total current needed (I=I1+I2+I3...)? so you would just need to find the current needed to melt a certain thickness of wire?
That sounds reasonable to me.

1. How much voltage is needed to melt aluminum wire?

The amount of voltage needed to melt aluminum wire depends on the thickness and length of the wire. Generally, a voltage of at least 660 volts is needed to melt aluminum wire. However, this can vary depending on the specific conditions and equipment used.

2. Can household appliances melt aluminum wire?

Most household appliances do not have enough voltage or power to melt aluminum wire. However, some larger appliances like industrial ovens or kilns may have the capacity to melt aluminum wire. It is important to always check the manufacturer's specifications before attempting to melt any type of metal in a household appliance.

3. What is the melting point of aluminum wire?

The melting point of aluminum wire is approximately 660.32 degrees Celsius or 1220.58 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the temperature at which the solid aluminum wire will turn into a liquid state. However, the melting point can vary slightly based on the purity and composition of the aluminum wire.

4. How long does it take to melt aluminum wire?

The time it takes to melt aluminum wire depends on the heat source and the thickness of the wire. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours to melt aluminum wire. It is important to monitor the temperature and make sure it does not exceed the melting point for safe and efficient melting.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when melting aluminum wire?

Melting aluminum wire can be dangerous, so it is important to take proper safety precautions. Wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles, and make sure the melting process is done in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes. It is also important to have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of any accidents. Always follow proper procedures and consult with a professional if needed.