Is it Possible to Travel Faster than the Speed of Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses a hypothetical scenario of two individuals traveling at .75 times the speed of light towards a sign. The conversation delves into the logic behind the scenario, with one individual arguing that the other must be traveling at a faster speed based on the observed distance between them and the sign. However, the other individual explains that this is not how relative velocities work and that the fastest the other individual could possibly be closing with the sign is less than 0.25 times the speed of light. The conversation also touches on the topic of relativity and the importance of logic in understanding it.
You are completely flawed in both your logic and physics skills and seem to be unwilling to learn.

That is absurdly incorrect but is a different thread.

If you are not willing to learn the accepted theory, there is hardly anything left to discuss here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doc Al said:
Apparently you've never heard of the 'relativity of simultaneity', one of the key features of special relativity. Frames in relative motion will not agree that two events took place at the same time! If someone on the ground measures that you were equidistant from the signpost at the same time, then you would not agree.

You both are traveling at 0.75c with respect to the ground. In order to determine what you would measure from your moving reference frame, you must apply relativity.
Like espen180, you are confusing the matter by claiming that my observation will be skewed. It doesn't matter what I observe other than the fact that we were doing the exact same thing in opposite directions and we got to a destination which required that the ACTUAL distance between us got reduced faster than light travels.

I could have said that we started our clocks at 4LS away and started up to travel the distance. We accelerated fast enough to ensure that we each reached the right posts when we were going .75c.

No observing is really necessary other than the beginning point and the end point, thus any skew in observation is actually irrelevant. Relativity of simultaneity doesn't apply because we would not be traveling with respect to each other at the beginning points and end point.

So what you are saying, is that to make the story clear, I have to leave out all observations and measurements and go merely by the start and end points, which I can do.

So what are you going to say then?

James S Saint said:
Observation of the distance is irrelevant to the fact that I know where he is even without observation.
You think you know, but you're just basing this on your pre-relativistic understanding of how things work.
All you are claiming is that my perceptions will be skewed.
This has nothing to do with 'skewed perceptions'; we're talking about measurements.
The problem is that faster than light travel was achieved whether I observed the event taking place accurately or not.
Uh, no.

alxm said:
You haven't used any logic though. All you've done is assert that velocities add linearly.
No, I haven't. You are apparently not reading carefully.

Doc Al said:
You think you know, but you're just basing this on your pre-relativistic understanding of how things work.
WHAT??

Come on now. He and I agree to behave exactly identical. That is how I know. That has NOTHING to do with relativity.

Doc Al said:
This has nothing to do with 'skewed perceptions'; we're talking about measurements.
Perceptions ARE measurements.

James S Saint said:
I don't really have to "see" him.

You need to think about it though. That is why you're missing the point. If you and your brother each shine a light when your cross the '1 second marks', where will you be when you see his? In the reference frame of an observer at the signpost, where does he think the ships are when he sees the lights? Once you understand those questions, you will begin to understand the answer to your question. Your logic is jumping between observers and you can't approach the problem that way.

James S Saint said:
But then I see my brother in his UFO rental coming in the opposite direction toward me and he is also 1 Ls away from the sign.
When you 'see' him cross his one second mark, you will have passed yours therefore the event that you think that you 'see' (you passing your one second mark when you think that he passes his) will never occur.

Last edited:
James S Saint said:
Like espen180, you are confusing the matter by claiming that my observation will be skewed. It doesn't matter what I observe other than the fact that we were doing the exact same thing in opposite directions and we got to a destination which required that the ACTUAL distance between us got reduced faster than light travels.
Careful with claims about ACTUAL distances--you do realize that distance is frame-dependent, right?

In any case, you are partially correct: The closing speed of the two ships according to ground observers is 1.5c. So what? This has nothing to do with anything moving at faster than light speeds in any frame, right?

That does not mean that you'll see your brother coming toward you at 1.5c according to your measurements. Of course, if all you are interested in is measurements made in the ground frame, then you can dispense with relativity.

James S Saint said:
WHAT??

Come on now. He and I agree to behave exactly identical. That is how I know. That has NOTHING to do with relativity.

It has everything to do with relativity. You cannot assume relativity is wrong and use that as an argument against relativity. That is called the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bare_assertion_fallacy" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
James S Saint said:
WHAT??

Everything is completely identical (except for your directions, of course) in the frame of the ground observers. But not necessarily in other frames.
By 'measurements' I mean observations after correction for light travel time.

But it seems like you are just thinking about the closing speed of the two ships, which can certainly be greater than light speed. See my last post.

Doc Al said:
Careful with claims about ACTUAL distances--you do realize that distance is frame-dependent, right?
"Actual" in this case, now that I am talking about us both starting from a stand still, is whatever we first measured when standing on the ground. I can also merely say that we both stopped when we met, so the end reference would be the same as the beginning. IF we had started our clocks together and did everything exactly the same way, but in opposite directions, our CLOCKS would be identical and BOTH read that we narrowed the distance between us at faster than light speed.

Doc Al said:
So what? This has nothing to do with anything moving at faster than light speeds in any frame, right?
What it means is that if I measure the distances as stated, before and after, I have to conclude that the 2Ls distance between us reduced faster than light and thus, ignoring the ground (which is merely a different frame) the measure of our relative speed to each other ends up being faster than light.

So yes, it DOES mean that I "see" my brother get to me faster than light would have.

James S Saint said:
He must be also traveling at .75 c.
James S Saint said:
So yes, it DOES mean that I "see" my brother get to me faster than light would have.
You stated in the first post that your brother is traveling less than the speed of light. How does he shine a light and manage to get to you before the light? Or are you going to say that the speed of light is 1.75 times the speed of light... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
James S Saint said:
WHAT??

AS Doc Al just pointed out what you are thinking is fine as applied from the signpost frame 1.5c no problem. But given your scenario if your brother passes you and you actually measure his velocity by clocks at the front and back of your ship you will find the velocity to be as stated by others previously.
You are just mentally putting yourself on the ground and then assuming the same perceptions would apply in your ship. Logically true perhaps but not in compliance with what you would actually measure.

James S Saint said:
"Actual" in this case, now that I am talking about us both starting from a stand still, is whatever we first measured when standing on the ground.
You are talking about distances as measured by the ground frame.
I can also merely say that we both stopped when we met, so the end reference would be the same as the beginning. IF we had started our clocks together and did everything exactly the same way, but in opposite directions, our CLOCKS would be identical and BOTH read that we narrowed the distance between us at faster than light speed.
The fact that the distance between ships as measured by the ground frame will change at faster than light speed does not mean that you, using your own measuring rods and clocks, would measure the speed of the other ship with respect to you at greater than light speed.

What it means is that if I measure the distances as stated, before and after, I have to conclude that the 2Ls distance between us reduced faster than light and thus, ignoring the ground (which is merely a different frame) the measure of our relative speed to each other ends up being faster than light.
Again, when you speak about distances and times you must specify a reference frame.

No it doesn't, except in the sense already discussed: The closing speed as measured by ground observers (not you!) will be 1.5c. The relative speed of the ships--the speed of one ship in the frame of the other--will be 0.96c.

These distinctions are crucial to understanding what relativity is saying.

Like Doc Al's pointed out, relativity doesn't forbid the distance between the two ships from receding at a faster than light rate according to a ground observer. That's nothing special.

Side question, if I may ask: who would reach the sign first according to all 3 observers ("you" in the vehicle, your brother in the oncoming vehicle, and a person standing beside the sign)? I assume if the person by the sign sees them reach it simultaneously, the other two won't agree with him.

Borg said:
You stated in the first post that your brother is traveling less than the speed of light. How does he shine a light and manage to get to you before the light?
I wasn't referring to HIM shining the light. I was referring to the fact that there was 2Ls between us and 1.333 secs later, there was no distance between us. Light couldn't do that.Guys...

Do we agree that there is no absolute frame?

The ground merely serves as an initial means to measure the distance between us both before and after. It is NOT an absolute frame, right? It merely let's us have the same reference when we start and end.

The fact is that we were 2Ls apart and merely 1.333 secs later, we were together by BOTH clocks. We can ignore the ground. Forget the ground.

Speed is measured by distance divided by time => 2Ls/1.333secs = 1.5c

James S Saint said:
I wasn't referring to HIM shining the light. I was referring to the fact that there was 2Ls between us and 1.333 secs later, there was no distance between us. Light couldn't do that.
Please explain what you think you see if he does shine a light when he crosses that point. Do you think that you would see his light traveling at 1.75 times the speed of light?

James S Saint said:
Right!

The ground merely serves as an initial means to measure the distance between us both before and after. It is NOT an absolute frame, right? It merely let's us have the same reference when we start and end.
Nothing absolute about the ground frame, that's for sure!

The fact is that we were 2Ls apart and merely 1.333 secs later, we were together by BOTH clocks. We can ignore the ground. Forget the ground.
What do you mean by 'forget the ground'? You gave distances and times that only make sense in the frame of the ground! Specifying a distance without mentioning the frame you are using is meaningless, right? (Unless you secretly do believe in some absolute frame!)

Again, that's the closing speed according to the ground frame. You can't 'forget the ground'.

James S Saint said:
Forget the ground.

You can't say, "Forget the ground," and then use distances according to the ground.

James S Saint said:
Speed is measured by distance divided by time

Speed relative to a frame is measured by distance in the same frame divided by time in the same frame.

You are mixing frames.

Bussani said:
Like Doc Al's pointed out, relativity doesn't forbid the distance between the two ships from receding at a faster than light rate according to a ground observer. That's nothing special.
Yes, but I'm not talking about what a ground observer sees. I see the distance of 2Ls get reduced to 0 in only 1.333 secs. That is what matters. Perhaps I cannot actually see the ground at all or even know it exists. As stated just prior, the ground only serves as an equal frame for us to begin and end. Both of us would end up seeing that 2Ls of distance vanished in only 1.333 secs.

Bussani said:
Side question, if I may ask: who would reach the sign first according to all 3 observers ("you" in the vehicle, your brother in the oncoming vehicle, and a person standing beside the sign)? I assume if the person by the sign sees them reach it simultaneously, the other two won't agree with him.
All observers would see us meet at the sign. The ground person would see each of us traveling .75c toward the sign. We would each see ourselves approaching the sign at .75c. But regardless of what we might observe of each other, our end measurements would be that we reached each other in only 1.333 secs causing a 2Ls distance to be traversed.

James S Saint said:
I wasn't referring to HIM shining the light. I was referring to the fact that there was 2Ls between us and 1.333 secs later, there was no distance between us. Light couldn't do that.

Guys...

You are - whether you ralize it or not - working in the ground frame, in which the relative speed of the ships is only constricted to be smaller than 2c, and in which your result is correct. You cannot, however, extrapolate the measurement of the ground frame to the ship frame without using the Lorentz transformation equations, which will tell you that according to an observer on either of the ships, the other ship is approaching at .96c.

HallsofIvy said:
You cannot just assert "I can see and measure that he is approaching me at 1.5c". HOW would you "see and measure" that?

I would see and measure his speed as
[tex]\frac{.75c+ .75c}{1+ \frac{(.75c)(.75c)}{c^2}}= \frac{1.5c}{1+ 0.5625}= \frac{1.5}{1.5625}c[/tex] which is 96% the speed of light.

James S Saint said:
And btw, that math reflects me traveling to the sign and him traveling from the sign in the same direction. That is not my scenario.
No, it doesn't. If you and he were traveling in the same direction, at the same .7t c, then it would be
[tex]\frac{.75c- .75c}{1+ \frac{(.75c)(.75c)}{c^2}}= 0[/tex], of course.

Doc Al said:
Again, that's the closing speed according to the ground frame. You can't 'forget the ground'.
No it is according to US.

We measure 2Ls of distance. In merely 1.333 secs, we measure NO distance between us. How is that not 1.5c?

James S Saint said:
Yes, but I'm not talking about what a ground observer sees. I see the distance of 2Ls get reduced to 0 in only 1.333 secs. That is what matters. Perhaps I cannot actually see the ground at all or even know it exists. As stated just prior, the ground only serves as an equal frame for us to begin and end. Both of us would end up seeing that 2Ls of distance vanished in only 1.333 secs.

All observers would see us meet at the sign. The ground person would see each of us traveling .75c toward the sign. We would each see ourselves approaching the sign at .75c. But regardless of what we might observe of each other, our end measurements would be that we reached each other in only 1.333 secs causing a 2Ls distance to be traversed.

But think what happens in the ground observers frame when one of you shines a light at the other, the light, traveling at the speed of light, reaches the other before the pair of you meet.

Is the light therefore traveling at greater than 1.5 times the speed of light? That would be totally illogical as we started by assuming it travels at the speed of light.

Wow, 57 posts in less than 3 hours! That may be a record. James S Saint, you are doing all of your computations as if Newtonian physics applied. Naturally, you are going to get a contradiction to relativity.

To put it simply (I hope)

We measure 2Ls of distance.

1.333 secs later, we measure 0 distance.

How is that possible?

James S Saint said:
No it is according to US.
Who is "US"? You? Your brother? The ground? All three frames will measure different distances and times.

You say "US", but you are actually using ground frame measurements.
We measure 2Ls of distance. In merely 1.333 secs, we measure NO distance between us. How is that not 1.5c?
It is 1.5c, but only in the ground frame. You used distances and times in the ground frame, so the closing speed is in the ground frame.

Bussani said:

They would all agree on the simultaneity of the intersection. If they don't steer carefully they could headon and then it would be obvious they met simultaneously. Seriously though, all observers agree on local events at a single location. SImultaneity becomes relevant when events are separated spatially

James S Saint said:

How is that possible?
Where's the problem?

You are confusing a closing speed greater than c with something actually moving with a speed greater than c in some reference frame. But that's not the case.

HallsofIvy said:
Wow, 57 posts in less than 3 hours! That may be a record. James S Saint, you are doing all of your computations as if Newtonian physics applied. Naturally, you are going to get a contradiction to relativity.
Actually I'm tickled to find a forum where people are so active.

Now if I can just get them to follow logic... grin. :)

James S Saint said:

How is that possible?

Becaus we're measuring the distance and time in the ground observers frame, where both of you are moving. Simples.

Imagine a 100m race. If someone runs 100m in 10 secs (assuming constant speed), but the finsihing linen approaches them at the same speed, do we say they ran 100 m in 5 secs? No we don't bceause we're talking about the frame in which both the runner and the finsihing line are moving,therefore the runner ran 50m in 5 secs.

jcsd said:
Is the light therefore traveling at greater than 1.5 times the speed of light? That would be totally illogical as we started by assuming it travels at the speed of light.
Also, what about someone standing at the one second mark and in the signpost's reference frame. If your brother shines a light back at that observer after he passes, will that observer see light traveling at 1/4 the speed of light? No.

Last edited:
James S Saint said:
Now if I can just get them to follow logic... grin. :)
You abuse the term 'logic'. What you really are saying: "If I can just get them to agree with me." But many of your statements are incorrect!

It's not a problem with 'logic', but with your understanding of physics.

Doc Al said:
Where's the problem?

You are confusing a closing speed greater than c with something actually moving with a speed greater than c in some reference frame. But that's not the case.
The "problem" is that speed is ONLY measured by distance and time, agreed?

We (my brother and I - the only people involved) measured 2Ls of distance between us. It doesn't matter where we were. It doesn't matter if there was a ground. We could have simply met in space and slowly backed away to a distance of 2Ls. No distortions involved.

But 1.333 secs later, we are back where we started.

The "problem" is that we are measuring speed by time and distance which tells us that one of us traveled at 1.5c. We can't really know which one of us. But SOMETHING happened faster than light.

Doc Al said:
You abuse the term 'logic'. What you really are saying: "If I can just get them to agree with me." But many of your statements are incorrect!

It's not a problem with 'logic', but with your understanding of physics.
Trust me for a moment. You do NOT want to lecture me about what logic is or isn't. I am letting that go as it is a different thread topic.