Calculating Fluid Friction in a Spiraling Tube of Varying Diameter and Shape

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of fluid friction against the walls of a tube or pipe that is moving within a narrowing pipe or tube, resembling an Archimedean Spiral. The person is looking for a solution to this problem and has been searching for a few days. They mention the Navier-Stokes equation and the Hazen-Williams equation as possible solutions, as well as using iterative programs. Another person suggests using the Hazen-Williams equation with an empirical formula for turbulent flow in pipes. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for the information.
Ameriu
Well, yes, this is my first post here, and I do hope I got it into the right section (And no, this is not homework, and although I was thinking of posting it there; I also considered posting it in the engineering forum, but I believe it would fit better in general physics forum).

Would it be possible to calculate fluid friction against the walls of the tube, if it is moving within a narrowing pipe/tube, which is laid in a fashion that resembles Archimedean Spiral?

I've been looking for the solution for past few days, yet most of the fluid friction topics describe drag friction, or contain very vague formulas for "water friction against pipes", but none of the really let me take into the account the decreasing diameter and increasing angle of piping.
Additionally, how would that friction change according to the cross-section of the tube/piping (square/oval etc.)

Any directions on where to look for the solution of this problem would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
My first post too! I think you are more interested in the relationship between the pressure of the fluid and the speed of the fluid as the volume of the conatainer changes. I would check out the Navier-Stokes equation.

If the changes in the diameter and angle are not too steep you can solve it by diving the pipe length to few (the more the better) segments with diameter of the average diameter in that segment, and then find the pressure drop for this segment and after that sum the pressure drops of all the segments.
If the changes in the diameter and angle are abrupt you can try solving it as a series of minor losses of bends and gradual contraction. Check this link for example for the minor losses - http://udel.edu/~inamdar/EGTE215/Minor_loss.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hazen-Williams empirical formula for turbulent flow in pipes (tubes) can be used for calculating the pressure drop in a continuously decreasing pipe diameter (using an iterative program like FORTRAN):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazen–Williams_equation

This is probably a reasonable approximation for an Archimedes spiral, as long as the radius of the bend is large compared to the pipe diameter a any point.

The roughness (friction) coefficient depends on the Reynolds number of the flow. See

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=54&ved=0CCgQFjADODI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fudel.edu%2F~inamdar%2FEGTE215%2FLaminar_turbulent.pdf&ei=5rZuTL71Do-isAOc6qmiCw&usg=AFQjCNGighgb2ILl0zNI-EzgHnGsc5zWww&sig2=HBiWDv42IUVNv9vX-Fo2GA

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, this seems like the right piece of information I needed!

1. What is fluid friction?

Fluid friction is the resistance that occurs when a fluid, such as air or water, flows through a tube or pipe. It is caused by the interaction between the fluid molecules and the walls of the tube.

2. How does fluid friction affect the flow of fluids in tubes?

Fluid friction can cause a decrease in the velocity of the fluid as it flows through a tube. This is due to the energy lost as the fluid molecules rub against the walls of the tube, resulting in a decrease in the overall flow rate.

3. How is fluid friction calculated?

There are several equations that can be used to calculate fluid friction within tubes, such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation or the Hazen–Williams equation. These equations take into account factors such as the fluid velocity, viscosity, and the roughness of the tube walls.

4. What factors can affect fluid friction within tubes?

The viscosity of the fluid, the velocity of the flow, and the roughness of the tube walls are all factors that can affect fluid friction. Additionally, the diameter and length of the tube can also impact the amount of friction that occurs.

5. How can fluid friction within tubes be reduced?

To reduce fluid friction within tubes, the most effective method is to increase the diameter of the tube. This allows for a decrease in the velocity of the fluid, resulting in less energy lost due to friction. Additionally, using smoother materials for the tube walls can also help reduce friction.