Challenging Math Problem: Can You Solve This Confusing Integral?

• Thread starter i2c
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, the conversation is about a complex logarithm problem involving the fifth derivative of a function. The notation used in the problem is meant to be confusing and the person who created it admits to not fully understanding it. The problem is also said to have several errors.
i2c
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is [tex]\varphi[/tex] constant with respect to x?

What branch of the complex logarithm are we supposed to use?

Yes Phi is just a constant. What branch of the complex logarithm? Um, I don't know what that means, (I'm only going to be in AP Calculus next year :)) But I can hint to you that e^(i*pi) = -1 rearranged with a ln will give you what I'm looking for. (I think a scientific calculator *should* do that part? Maybe?) Oh and by the way, I kind of messed up, what I'm saying is that's the function, and take the fifth derivative of it, so i know it's not the correct notation but I screwed up.

Last edited:
would you mind explaining where the integral comes from and what is that awkward symbol, that sort of looks like the Summation Sign (Sigma)? Moreover, what is f? In general, I can't make any sense of what's going on

I'm lost, also. I'm not sure what's going on in this problem and the symbolism used is very perplexing...

It's supposed to be perplexing. It's a sigma, on top, instead of being a number like 32 or infinity, it's a number but you have to solve the limit to find the number. The middle equation is just finding the fifth derivative of the equation. (Very easy it's just a polynomial) and then the bottom term (in a sigma it would normally be x = 8 or something) is just x = something but you have to solve the integral first to get that number. And I don't really know how I got that integral I just was messing around on my TI89. But I can assure that the top and bottom constraints work. And the notation is supposed to be confusing, if I wrote, sigma(2x-3, x, x=5, 26) that would be no fun now would it?

Okay, so what you're saying is that the [tex]\int^{ln\sqrt{-1}}_{e^{i\Pi}} 2sin(x)cos(x)dx[/tex] is the lower bound of the giant sigma? the upper bound is limit portion of the problem?

i2c said:
It's supposed to be perplexing. It's a sigma, on top, instead of being a number like 32 or infinity, it's a number but you have to solve the limit to find the number. The middle equation is just finding the fifth derivative of the equation. (Very easy it's just a polynomial) and then the bottom term (in a sigma it would normally be x = 8 or something) is just x = something but you have to solve the integral first to get that number. And I don't really know how I got that integral I just was messing around on my TI89. But I can assure that the top and bottom constraints work. And the notation is supposed to be confusing, if I wrote, sigma(2x-3, x, x=5, 26) that would be no fun now would it?

The level of difficulty of a problem does has nothing to do with how confusing the notation is. It seems like you went out of your way to make this problem as confusing as possible.. its not only confusing, but it has several errors. A genuinely difficult math problem will be difficult regardless. You should practice writing a problem as straightforward as possible.

sEsposito said:
Okay, so what you're saying is that the [tex]\int^{ln\sqrt{-1}}_{e^{i\Pi}} 2sin(x)cos(x)dx[/tex] is the lower bound of the giant sigma? the upper bound is limit portion of the problem?

Yes, except it's ln(sqrt(i root(-1)))

aq1q said:
The level of difficulty of a problem does has nothing to do with how confusing the notation is. It seems like you went out of your way to make this problem as confusing as possible.. its not only confusing, but it has several errors. A genuinely difficult math problem will be difficult regardless. You should practice writing a problem as straightforward as possible.

Yes I did, and sorry about the errors I don't *really* know what I'm doing. :)

1. What is the fun math problem you made up?

The fun math problem I made up is: "John has 10 apples and gives away 4. How many apples does he have left?"

2. What grade level is this math problem suitable for?

This math problem is suitable for elementary school students, around 1st or 2nd grade level.

3. Can this math problem be solved using different methods?

Yes, this math problem can be solved using basic subtraction or by drawing a picture to represent the problem.

4. What makes this math problem "fun"?

This math problem is fun because it involves a relatable scenario and requires basic math skills to solve. It also allows for creativity in solving the problem.

5. Are there any extensions or variations to this math problem?

Yes, an extension to this math problem could be: "John has 10 apples and gives away a certain amount. If he has 2 apples left, how many did he give away?" Another variation could be to change the numbers or the objects involved in the problem.