Min and Max of Parallel Resistors

You should be able to see that as R2 approaches infinity, the resistance approaches R1, and as R2 approaches R1, the resistance approaches (R1)/2. This can also be shown mathematically through the equation R1.R2/(R1 + R2).
meeep
I noticed that, for resistors in a parallel circuit, where R1 is < R2, the minimum value is (R1)/2, and the maximum approaches R1.
I was trying to work out why, so for two resistors, the calculation is:
R1.R2/(R1 + R2).
I thought of partial derivatives but not sure where to go after that, and after getting the curve in WolframAlpha, not sure what to do with that either.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+xy/(x+y)

Empirically, the nth case appears to be: min = (R1)/n and max = R1, but not sure how to prove it mathematically.

Any advice on what I could try next? This isn't homework, just noticed it and got curious.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Assume that R1 is some fixed number. All that we know is that R2 must be bigger than R1. So to find the minimum resistance, R2 should be as small as possible, and to find the maximum resistance, R2 should be infinitely large.

Try seeing what happens to the resistance when you make R2 as small as possible (keeping in mind it must be bigger than R1) and what happens when R2 is arbitrarily large

What is the concept of "Min and Max of Parallel Resistors"?

The concept of "Min and Max of Parallel Resistors" refers to the calculation of the minimum and maximum resistance values when multiple resistors are connected in parallel. This is important for understanding the overall resistance in a circuit and how it affects the flow of current.

How do you calculate the minimum resistance in parallel resistors?

To calculate the minimum resistance in parallel resistors, you can use the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. This formula takes into account the fact that when resistors are connected in parallel, the total resistance decreases.

How do you calculate the maximum resistance in parallel resistors?

To calculate the maximum resistance in parallel resistors, you can use the formula Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... + Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. This formula takes into account the fact that when resistors are connected in parallel, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances.

What is the effect of adding more resistors in parallel?

Adding more resistors in parallel decreases the overall resistance in a circuit. This is because the total resistance is inversely proportional to the number of resistors connected in parallel. Therefore, as more resistors are added, the total resistance decreases.

Are there any limitations to the concept of "Min and Max of Parallel Resistors"?

Yes, there are limitations to this concept. It assumes that all resistors are identical and have the same resistance value. In reality, resistors can have slight variations in their resistance values, which can affect the overall resistance in a circuit. Additionally, this concept does not take into account other factors such as temperature and the effects of other components in the circuit.