What is a Direct image and Inverse Image in Real Analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of Direct and Inverse Images in Real Analysis I. The example given uses a function f(x)=x^2 and a set E={0<=x<=2} to find the inverse image of G={0<=f(x)<=4}. The purpose of this exercise is to demonstrate an example where f(f^{-1}(A))=A and an example where f^{-1}(f(A))\neq A. It is noted that if E={-2<=x<=2}, the image would still be G={0<=f(x)<=4}. However, if E={-2<=x<=2}, the image would not be G={4<=f(x)<=4} as the
phillyolly

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand the definition of Direct and Inverse Images in Real Analysis I from my book, see attachment please.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 786
Physics news on Phys.org
Please explain how the set of the inverse image of G was found.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 558
We're looking for all elements in the domain of f that can be mapped into elements of G, i.e., find all x such that f(x) is an element of G. For what values of x in the domain is 0 <= f(x) <= 4?

Right, but how did they find 0 and 4 so that

0 <= f(x) <= 4

?

Read the text step-by-step.

We're given E = {0 <= x <= 2}. The image of E is G = {0 <= f(x) <= 4}. Now we are finding the inverse image of G by the steps I described above. The purpose of this exercise is to just give you an example of where [tex] f(f^{-1}(A)) = A [/tex] and an example where [tex] f^{-1}(f(A)) \neq A. [/tex]

The given function was [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] and [itex]E= \{0\le x\le 2\}[/itex].

They got [itex]0\le f(x)\le 4[/itex] by squaring 0 and 2.

But be careful, if it had been [itex]E= \{-2\le x\le 2\}[/itex] We would NOT have the image [itex]\{4\le f(x)\le 4}[/itex]. [itex]-2\le x\le 2[/itex] includes all numbers from -2 to 2 and the squares of those are all between 0 and 2, also the squares of the negatives are also positive, not negative: If [itex]E= \{-2\le x\le 2\}[/itex] we would still have the image as [itex]\{0\le f(x)\le 4\}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
The given function was [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] and [itex]E= \{0\le x\le 2\}[/itex].

They got [itex]0\le f(x)\le 4[/itex] by squaring 0 and 2.

But be careful, if it had been [itex]E= \{-2\le x\le 2\}[/itex] We would NOT have the image [itex]\{4\le f(x)\le 4}[/itex]. [itex]-2\le x\le 2[/itex] includes all numbers from 0 to 2
Correction: all numbers between -2 and 2 (inclusive).
HallsofIvy said:
and the squares of those are all between 0 and 2, also the squares of the negatives are also positive, not negative: If [itex]E= \{-2\le x\le 2\}[/itex] we would still have the image as [itex]\{0\le f(x)\le 4\}[/itex]

Thanks for the correction, Mark44. I will now edit so I can claim I never made that mistake!

What is a Direct Image in Real Analysis?

A direct image in real analysis is a mathematical concept that involves mapping elements from one set to another set. It is also known as the image of a set, and is denoted as f(A), where f is a function and A is the set being mapped. The direct image is the resulting set of applying the function f to all the elements in set A.

What is an Inverse Image in Real Analysis?

An inverse image in real analysis is the preimage of a set. It involves mapping elements from the codomain of a function to the domain of the function. It is denoted as f-1(B), where f is a function and B is the set being mapped. The inverse image is the set of all elements in the domain that map to the set B in the codomain.

How are Direct and Inverse Images Related?

The direct and inverse images are related in that they are the opposite mappings of each other. The direct image maps elements from the domain to the codomain, while the inverse image maps elements from the codomain to the domain. They are both important concepts in real analysis and are used to study the behavior of functions.

What is the Difference Between Direct and Inverse Images?

The main difference between direct and inverse images is the direction of the mapping. In direct images, elements are mapped from the domain to the codomain, while in inverse images, elements are mapped from the codomain to the domain. Additionally, direct images are denoted as f(A), while inverse images are denoted as f-1(B).

How are Direct and Inverse Images Used in Real Analysis?

Direct and inverse images are used in real analysis to study the behavior of functions and to prove theorems. They are also used to define important concepts such as continuity, compactness, and connectedness. In addition, they are used to define the fundamental concepts of open and closed sets in topology.