Understanding Vibration of an Airplane Wing in a Wind Tunnel

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a wing model in a wind tunnel, where the wing is supported at the quarter-chord length and the wing body is free to move. The model is in the time domain with an oscillatory force of 20 Hz applied to the wing. When observing the results, there is an oscillating signal for the displacement of the wing. The data is then used in MATLAB for signal processing, where it is discovered that the force on the wing has a frequency of 20 Hz, but the vibration ranges from 48 to 68 Hz. The speaker is seeking an explanation for this range of vibration frequencies, considering that the force on the wing is only oscillating at 20 Hz. The suggestion
wizkidder
Hello all.

I have a question about a wing model...

The model I have is an airplane wing (airfoil) in a wind tunnel. The wing is supported at the quarter-chord length and the wing body is free to move.

My model is in the time domain with an oscillatory force at 20 Hz applied to the wing. When I look at the results, I see an oscillating signal for the displacement of the wing.

Then I use this data in MATLAB for signal processing. The force on the wing has a frequency of 20 Hz, but the frequency of the vibration ranges from 48 to 68 Hz. Why do I get a range for the vibration, when the force on the wing is oscillating at 20 Hz?

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
wizkidder said:
Hello all.

I have a question about a wing model...

The model I have is an airplane wing (airfoil) in a wind tunnel. The wing is supported at the quarter-chord length and the wing body is free to move.

Twin boom?

My model is in the time domain with an oscillatory force at 20 Hz applied to the wing. When I look at the results, I see an oscillating signal for the displacement of the wing.

Then I use this data in MATLAB for signal processing. The force on the wing has a frequency of 20 Hz, but the frequency of the vibration ranges from 48 to 68 Hz. Why do I get a range for the vibration, when the force on the wing is oscillating at 20 Hz?

Thanks guys!

Forces do not have frequencies... Need input!

Hello, it sounds like you are experiencing some interesting results with your wing model. Have you considered the possibility of harmonics playing a role in the vibration frequency? Harmonics can occur when a system is subjected to a periodic force, and can cause the system to vibrate at multiples of the original frequency. It could be worth looking into and seeing if it could explain the range of vibration frequencies you are seeing. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the purpose of testing an airplane wing in a wind tunnel?

The purpose of testing an airplane wing in a wind tunnel is to determine its aerodynamic performance under simulated flight conditions. This allows engineers to make any necessary design changes to improve the efficiency and safety of the wing.

2. How does a wind tunnel simulate the conditions of flight?

A wind tunnel uses a powerful fan to create airflow over the airplane wing at different speeds and angles, similar to the conditions the wing would experience during flight. The air is also heated to match the temperatures at various altitudes.

3. What is the role of vibration in understanding the performance of an airplane wing?

Vibration can affect the structural integrity and aerodynamic performance of an airplane wing. By measuring the vibrations in a wind tunnel, engineers can identify potential issues and make adjustments to improve the wing's performance and safety.

4. How is the vibration of an airplane wing measured in a wind tunnel?

There are various methods for measuring the vibration of an airplane wing in a wind tunnel, including strain gauges, accelerometers, and laser vibrometers. These instruments can detect and record the movement and vibrations of the wing during testing.

5. What are some factors that can affect the vibration of an airplane wing in a wind tunnel?

The shape and design of the wing, wind speed and direction, air density, and test conditions can all affect the vibration of an airplane wing in a wind tunnel. Additionally, any structural defects or imperfections in the wing can also contribute to vibrations.