Find the largest mass that can sit on an incline without accelerating

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum mass M2 that can be placed on an incline of angle θ = 60deg without causing any acceleration. Using the equations f=ma and balancing the forces for M1 and M2, the solution is found to be M2 = sin(60)*M1 = 8.7 kg. An alternative method is to equate the weight of M1 along the incline to the weight of M2.
vande060
1. Homework Statement
A mass M1 = 10 kg rests on an incline of
angle θ = 60deg. Find the largest M2 such that no
accelerations occur.

a picture of the problem: http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/alkaline262/?action=view&current=prob14.jpg
2. Homework Equations

f=ma

3. The Attempt at a Solution

here are the forces for m1(i think)

note: N is normal force T is string tension

(-a1,0) (0,N) (-m1gsin(60), -mg1cos(60)) (T1,0)
---------------------------------------------------
equations here for m1:

-m1a1 = T1 -m1gsin(60)
0 = N- m1gcos(60)
--------------------------------------------------
here are the forces for m2(i think)

(0,-a2) (0,T2) (0,-m2g)

-------------------------------------------------
equation for m2:

-m2a = T2 -m2g
--------------------------------------------------

all right now, i feel like i should be eliminating T, because it will be equal between the two equations:

T1 = -m1a + sin(60)m1g
- T2 = -m2a + m2g
-----------------------------
0 = -m1a + m2a +sin(60)m1g - m2g

okay i don't know what to do, or if what i have done is right, but i let a = 0 and solved for m2 here anyways :/

m2 = sin(60)m1
we know m1 = 10 so,

max m2 = 8.7 kg

any advice would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
an easier way would be taking the g components for m1 and since the (perpendicular-to-the-plane component) is balanced by normal reaction you can neglect it. Then the {along-the-inlinedplane(say gx) * mass1} should be equated to (mass2 * g) . and then get the answer easily...
ie
m1 * gx = m2 * g

And your answer seems to be right approximately.(i haven't exactly calculated)

1. What is the purpose of finding the largest mass that can sit on an incline without accelerating?

Finding the largest mass that can sit on an incline without accelerating helps us understand the relationship between mass, gravity, and incline angle. It can also be used to determine the maximum load that can safely be placed on an inclined surface.

2. How is the largest mass determined?

The largest mass is determined by balancing the forces acting on the mass on the incline. This includes the force of gravity pulling the mass downwards and the normal force from the incline pushing the mass upwards. When these two forces are equal, the mass will not accelerate.

3. What factors can affect the largest mass that can sit on an incline without accelerating?

The largest mass that can sit on an incline without accelerating can be affected by the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction between the mass and the incline, and the strength and stability of the incline itself.

4. How can this concept be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of finding the largest mass that can sit on an incline without accelerating can be applied in various real-life situations such as designing ramps and inclined surfaces, determining the maximum weight a vehicle can safely carry on an inclined road, and understanding the limitations of elevators and escalators.

5. Can this concept be applied to objects on a decline as well?

Yes, the same concept can be applied to objects on a decline. In this case, the force of gravity will be pulling the mass downwards while the normal force from the decline will push the mass upwards. This concept is also used in designing roller coasters and other amusement rides.