My rounding is off - can anyone try this?

• Thread starter jaytm2291
  • Start date
In summary: I'm sorry you are not being very clear. I didn't use a tangent and cosine but I would like to. THis is due in about an hr. I have one try left. Please help me out instead of just giving me one word answers. Thanks.The argument of the tangent and cosine is the launch angle with respect to the horizontal. It is given, 53 degrees. Why do you consider it unknown?
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two points where the ball is at 6.3 height. You have to choose the point where the ball descends: the higher root of the quadratic equation.

ehild

What equation?

jaytm2291 said:
What equation?

The equation between y and x of a projectile.

ehild

I'm sorry you aren't being very clear. I didn't use a quadratic equation but I would like to. THis is due in about an hr. I have one try left. Please help me out instead of just giving me one word answers. Thanks.

What value of g you have used? And do not round v0 when you calculate this distance. I am not allowed to give the result, sorry, but I would say that your value is correct within 2 percent. My one is a bit higher than 2.4 m.

ehild

Last edited:
So I would have:

y=.33 tan(x)-4.9 (.33/(18.1 cos(x))^2

?

If your rounding is off, why don't you go through your calculations from the start and not round anything, at all. That way you will get the most accurate answer possible.

All you're asking here is for someone to do that for you, which they may do, but they can't give you the answer so it serves no purpose aside from to say your answer is wrong (which you know from the test).

You can easily go through it again from the start without rounding in well under an hour.

As it stands, I can go through it but my response will be no different to ehild. I can only tell you that your answer is incorrect and roughly how far out you are.

Jared

My calculations don't work for the real answer, but they do for the practice answer.

jaytm2291 said:
My calculations don't work for the real answer, but they do for the practice answer.

In your original post you only mention your rounding is off, nothing is mentioned about the calculations. You should have been far more specific in the original post to stand a better chance at getting your required response.

From reading the OP, everyone will give the same response as per ehild and what I said in my previous post.

Jared

jaytm2291 said:
So I would have:

y=.33 tan(x)-4.9 (.33/(18.1 cos(x))^2

?

This equation is wrong. Find the proper equation between the x and y coordinates of the projectile. The argument of the tangent and cosine is the launch angle with respect to the horizontal. It is given, 53 degrees. Why do you consider it unknown?

ehild

1. How do I know if my rounding is off?

There are a few ways to determine if your rounding is off. One method is to compare your rounded number to the original number and see if there is a significant difference. Another way is to use a calculator or computer software that has a more precise rounding function to double check your work.

2. Why does rounding sometimes result in different numbers?

Rounding can result in different numbers because there are different rounding methods that can be used, such as rounding up, rounding down, or rounding to the nearest number. Additionally, the number being rounded and the decimal place being rounded to can also affect the result. For example, rounding 5.5 to the nearest whole number can result in either 5 or 6 depending on the rounding method used.

3. Is there a correct way to round numbers?

There are various rounding methods and conventions used in different fields and situations. In general, it is important to follow the guidelines or instructions provided for rounding in a specific context. For example, financial calculations may have different rounding rules compared to scientific calculations.

4. Can rounding affect the accuracy of my calculations?

Yes, rounding can affect the accuracy of your calculations. Rounding introduces a degree of error, as the rounded number is an approximation of the original number. This error may be negligible in some cases, but for highly precise calculations, it is important to use a rounding method that minimizes the error.

5. How can I improve my rounding skills?

One way to improve your rounding skills is to practice regularly with different numbers and rounding methods. It can also be helpful to familiarize yourself with common rounding conventions used in your field of work. Using a calculator or computer software with a precise rounding function can also aid in improving your rounding accuracy.