The Physics of Christmas Decorations

In summary, the conversation is about using a wire cable to suspend Christmas decorations across a driveway. The person is concerned about the load on the anchor point on the brick wall and is considering using a piece of angle iron to divide the load. Another person suggests using slings instead, as shown in a rock climbing guide.
tonyski
Greetings all,

I am using a wire cable to suspend some Christmas decorations across my driveway. Total span is about 30 ft.

One end attaches to the exterior brick wall of my house. the other end goes through a pulley that is suspended from a huge oak tree and then down to a come-along(hand winch, cable puller) attached to the base of the tree. The weight of the decorations is about 40-50 lbs which are evenly distributed along the middle eight feet of the 30 ft span.

I am concerned about the load on the anchor point on the brick wall. Am I correct in my assumption that if I used a piece of angle Iron and anchored it at two points and then attached the cable to the angle iron, the load on each anchor point would be half of the total?
Thanks in advance,
Tony

Attachments

• current design.jpg
    current design.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 351
  • improved design.jpg
    improved design.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, in theory, the load on each anchor point should be half the tension in the wire—if the wire pulls on each anchor point equally. In practice, the load will likely be divided asymmetrically between the anchor points, the degree of asymmetry depending on the exact anchoring setup that you use. I am not completely clear on what your angle-iron setup entails, but my instinct is that it may not be the best way to divide the load.

There is a brief guide here showing some of the methods rock climbers use to divide the tension between their ropes and anchor points. Perhaps these principles can be applied to your situation? http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2592

Thank you m.e.t.a..

I'll try to describe the angle iron setup. I envision using a 12-16 inch piece of angle iron anchored into the brick wall at two points. Then I'll attach the wire that spans the driveway at the center point. The wire is almost horizontal but comes off of the wall at about a 15 - 20 degree angle.

Do you feel that using 2 slings as shown in the article is a better choice than using a rigid bar across the two points?

Attachments

• topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 362

What is the science behind Christmas lights?

The science behind Christmas lights involves the flow of electricity through a circuit. The lights are connected to a power source, such as an outlet, and the electricity flows through the wires and into the bulbs, causing them to light up. The type of bulb used, such as incandescent or LED, will affect the amount of electricity used and the color of the light emitted.

Why do Christmas ornaments break when dropped?

Christmas ornaments are typically made of glass, which is a brittle material. When dropped, the force of the impact causes the glass to fracture and break. This is due to the molecular structure of glass, which lacks the flexibility of other materials and cannot absorb the energy from the impact.

How do fake snow and glitter stay suspended on Christmas decorations?

Fake snow and glitter are lightweight particles that are often sprayed or sprinkled onto Christmas decorations. They stay suspended due to the principle of gravity. The particles are small enough that the force of gravity is not enough to pull them down immediately. They also may be coated with a substance that helps them stick to the surface of the decoration.

Why do some Christmas tree ornaments conduct electricity?

Some Christmas tree ornaments, particularly those with metallic components, can conduct electricity because they are made of materials that are good conductors. This means that they allow electricity to flow through them easily. To prevent electric shock, it is important to ensure that all Christmas decorations are properly insulated and do not come into contact with any live wires.

How do inflatable Christmas decorations work?

Inflatable Christmas decorations work by using a fan to blow air into the decoration, causing it to inflate and take shape. The fan is typically powered by electricity and is connected to an outlet. The air pressure inside the decoration keeps it inflated, and the fan continues to run to maintain the shape. When the fan is turned off, the decoration will slowly deflate.