What is the total kinetic energy

In summary, the problem involves finding the total kinetic energy and total energy in a mass distribution that is in equilibrium. The given equations for M(r) and p(r) are used to calculate the total potential. The total kinetic energy formula is given as 3/2 * M * o^2, where o is the velocity dispersion of stars. The solution involves using the virial theorem and making adjustments to the potential formula to find the correct formula for kinetic energy.
leonne

Homework Statement

If the mass distribution is in equilibrium, what is the total kinetic energy? What
is the total energy

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first part I was suppose to find the total potential with given
M(r)=Mr^3/(r^2+a2^)^3/2
p(r)=3Ma^2/4pie(r^2+a^2)^5/2
In my notes they have it as total kinetic =3/2 M o2 o is velocity dispersion of stars
but not sure what to do with that

Edit looking at the last part of the problem I would need to use the total kinetic forum they give also what I get for the total kinetics, I guess ill have to figure out how to find kinetic from potential any hints on this part? Going to try to figure it out later i know potential would equal to kinetic if there is no external force, but i don't think i can use that in this problem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok i think i figured it out after looking at notes notice that virial theorem is e=-k=u/2 so i am guessing how i derivated potential i just make it k=2pies G instead of u=-4pie G right?

ok seems like something is wrong the next part was to find velocity using the kinetic energy formula i got and k=3/2M o^2 (o is the radial velocity) so after going the calculation notice the formula i figured out is not right because the units i got for velocity is cm^2.2/s the formula i got for k is pie/2 G 3(M)2a2 pie/32 but I am pretty sure the formula should be right looking at the virial theorem any hints? thxs

What is the total kinetic energy?

The total kinetic energy is the sum of all the individual kinetic energies of the particles in a system. It is a measure of the overall amount of energy that is being transferred between objects due to their motion.

How is the total kinetic energy calculated?

The total kinetic energy is calculated by using the equation KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity. This equation takes into account both the mass and velocity of the objects in the system.

What units is the total kinetic energy measured in?

The units for total kinetic energy are joules (J) in the metric system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

Can the total kinetic energy of a system change?

Yes, the total kinetic energy of a system can change. It can increase if the velocity of the objects in the system increases, or decrease if the velocity decreases. It can also change if the mass of the objects changes.

What is the relationship between temperature and total kinetic energy?

Temperature is directly related to the total kinetic energy of a system. As the temperature of a system increases, the average kinetic energy of the particles in the system also increases. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system increases as well.