Multiple integrals applications of integration

In summary: i was wondering if you could check my integral for me\int\int\int_{z=2x+3y+6}^{z=2x+7y+8} \delta= \lambda y dz dy dxwhere the dydx is from 0 to 1 for both\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1} \int_{2x+3y+6}^{2x+7y+8} \lambda y dz dy dx= \int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{1} \lambda y (2x+7y+8 - 2x-3y-6) dy dx= \int_{
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

Find the mass of the solid from problem 42 if the density is proportional to y

42. Find the volume between the planes z=2x+3y+6 and z=2x+7y+8 and over the triangular vector (0,0) (0,3) and (2,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason I'm asking is because I'm not sure whether this is a triple or a double integral, how to set it up and how to incorporate the vectors. There isn't a single example of this type in my book, just straight forward simple ones and only 3 of them... my prof never mentioned this in the lectures either and we're done this part.

So an example or any general help will do. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt your book talks about a "triangular vector". Rather those points are no doubt the vertices of a triangle in the (x,y) plane. You will use these points to get the equations of the sides of the triangle.

You can do it either as a double or triple integral. As a double integral:

[tex]\int\int\int_{z_{lower}}^{z_{upper}} 1\, dz dy dx[/tex]

where the dydx or dxdy limits (whichever is easiest) are figured out from the triangle.
Or as a double integral

[tex]\int\int (z_{upper} - z_{lower}\, dydx [/tex]

with the same dydx or dxdy limits.

The triangular region in the xy-plane has lower side, the line from (0, 0) to (2, 1), given by y= (1/2)x or x= 2y. The upper side, the line from (0, 3) to (2, 1), is given by y= 1 -x or x= 1- y.
If you choose to have your outer integral with respect to x, it will be from 0 to 1 and the next integral, with respect to y, will be from (1/2)x to 1- x. If you choose to have your outer integral with respect to y, it will be from 0 to 3 and the next integral, with respect to x, will be from 2y to 1- y.

In either case, you "innermost" integral, with respect to z, will be from 2x+3y+6 to 2x+7y+8.

You integrand, of course, will be c/y for some constant, c.

HallsofIvy said:
The triangular region in the xy-plane has lower side, the line from (0, 0) to (2, 1), given by y= (1/2)x or x= 2y. The upper side, the line from (0, 3) to (2, 1), is given by y= 1 -x or x= 1- y.
If you choose to have your outer integral with respect to x, it will be from 0 to 1 and the next integral, with respect to y, will be from (1/2)x to 1- x. If you choose to have your outer integral with respect to y, it will be from 0 to 3 and the next integral, with respect to x, will be from 2y to 1- y.

In either case, you "innermost" integral, with respect to z, will be from 2x+3y+6 to 2x+7y+8.

You integrand, of course, will be c/y for some constant, c.

LCKurtz said:
I doubt your book talks about a "triangular vector". Rather those points are no doubt the vertices of a triangle in the (x,y) plane. You will use these points to get the equations of the sides of the triangle.

You can do it either as a double or triple integral. As a double integral:

[tex]\int\int\int_{z_{lower}}^{z_{upper}} 1\, dz dy dx[/tex]

where the dydx or dxdy limits (whichever is easiest) are figured out from the triangle.
Or as a double integral

[tex]\int\int (z_{upper} - z_{lower}\, dydx [/tex]

with the same dydx or dxdy limits.

thank you very much for the help. I did integrate dz first, the part i didn't understand was the coordinates. thank you very much for the help. i will try this when i get home

edit i think it was actually a square and i transcribed the problem wrong. what would i do if it was a square?

Liquidxlax said:
thank you very much for the help. I did integrate dz first, the part i didn't understand was the coordinates. thank you very much for the help. i will try this when i get home

edit i think it was actually a square and i transcribed the problem wrong. what would i do if it was a square?

If the xy region is a square aligned parallel to the axes, the xy integrals will have constant limits. It the square is tilted relative to the xy axes you will need the equations of the edges and break up the xy integrals accordingly.

Also in my previous post I used an integrand of 1 which gives the volume. You need the density in there if you are calculating mass.

LCKurtz said:
If the xy region is a square aligned parallel to the axes, the xy integrals will have constant limits. It the square is tilted relative to the xy axes you will need the equations of the edges and break up the xy integrals accordingly.

Also in my previous post I used an integrand of 1 which gives the volume. You need the density in there if you are calculating mass.

it states that the density is proportional to y, which I'm unsure how to approach.

Liquidxlax said:
it states that the density is proportional to y, which I'm unsure how to approach.

If an object has mass density [itex]\delta(x,y,z)[/itex] then its mass is

[tex]\int\int\int_V \delta(x,y,z)\, dV[/tex]

In your case [itex]\delta =\lambda y[/itex].

And an additional note, if there is a variable density you should always use a triple integral. A double integral may sometimes be used but there are pitfalls.

i get 0 when it should equal 5

Last edited:
You have indicated that you meant the area to be a square but haven't told us what square. You also haven't shown your steps. How can we help you pinpoint your mistake when we don't know what the problem is nor what method you used to solve it?

LCKurtz said:
You have indicated that you meant the area to be a square but haven't told us what square. You also haven't shown your steps. How can we help you pinpoint your mistake when we don't know what the problem is nor what method you used to solve it?

lol sorry, but i meant to delete that message because i found my error out.oh and for the intial question the coordinates should be 0,0 0,1 1,1 1,0 so i could just use 1-x and multiply the whole thing by 2?

to hard to write it all out since i don't know latex, but i got 19/3 = M

Last edited:
Liquidxlax said:
lol sorry, but i meant to delete that message because i found my error out.

oh and for the intial question the coordinates should be 0,0 0,1 1,1 1,0 so i could just use 1-x and multiply the whole thing by 2?

You mean because 1-x divides the square into two equal area halves? That raises two issues. One is why would you want to introduce variable limits when the problem already has constant limits? A more serious objection is that if you are integrating a density function, you must check that the density affects both halves equally. It might not and you have to be sure it does before you try to use a symmetry argument. So don't do it that way. It's the same reason you want to do 3D density problems with a triple integral, not a double integral as I mentioned earlier.

LCKurtz said:
You mean because 1-x divides the square into two equal area halves? That raises two issues. One is why would you want to introduce variable limits when the problem already has constant limits? A more serious objection is that if you are integrating a density function, you must check that the density affects both halves equally. It might not and you have to be sure it does before you try to use a symmetry argument. So don't do it that way. It's the same reason you want to do 3D density problems with a triple integral, not a double integral as I mentioned earlier.

i did do a triple integral, but I'm having a problem incorporating the second half of the square into my limits.

Liquidxlax said:
i did do a triple integral, but I'm having a problem incorporating the second half of the square into my limits.

So give us a complete statement of the problem you are trying to work and show us what you are trying.

LCKurtz said:
So give us a complete statement of the problem you are trying to work and show us what you are trying.

int(0 to 1 (x))int(1-x to the rest of the square (y)) int((2x+3y+6 to 2x+4y+8 (z))ydzdydx

LCKurtz said:

Liquidxlax said:
int(0 to 1 (x))int(1-x to the rest of the square (y)) int((2x+3y+6 to 2x+4y+8 (z))ydzdydx

That is not a statement of the problem. It is apparently your take on a solution to the problem. Please state the problem.

LCKurtz said:
That is not a statement of the problem. It is apparently your take on a solution to the problem. Please state the problem.

sorry, i was just in such a panic that i didn't sort my problem out. I figured out what i did wrong and got the answer

but if you're still interested in the old problem.

find the mass of the volume between z=2x+7y+8 and z=2x+4y+6 enclosed by the verticies (0,0) (1,0) (0,1) (1,1) when the density is proportional to y

what i did wrong was i was trying to turn the square into an equation when you just use the coordinates

1. What are multiple integrals and how are they different from single integrals?

Multiple integrals involve integrating a function of multiple variables over a region in space, whereas single integrals involve integrating a function of a single variable over an interval. In other words, multiple integrals deal with the volume under a surface, while single integrals deal with the area under a curve.

2. What are some real-world applications of multiple integrals?

Multiple integrals have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Some examples include calculating the mass and center of mass of an object, determining the average value of a function over a region, and finding the probability of events in a multi-dimensional space.

3. What is the process for setting up and solving a multiple integral?

The first step in setting up a multiple integral is to define the region of integration, which can be done by expressing the boundaries of the region in terms of the variables being integrated over. Next, the integrand (the function being integrated) is determined and written in terms of the variables of integration. The integral is then evaluated using appropriate techniques, such as iterated integration or change of variables.

4. Can multiple integrals be solved using software or do they always require manual calculation?

While it is possible to solve multiple integrals by hand, they can also be solved using software such as Mathematica, MATLAB, or Maple. These programs use advanced algorithms to quickly and accurately compute integrals, making them a valuable tool for solving complex integrals or when a quick solution is needed.

5. How do multiple integrals relate to the concept of volume?

Multiple integrals are often used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object or the volume under a curved surface. This is because the integral essentially sums up the infinitesimal volumes of small elements within the region of integration. By choosing the appropriate limits of integration and integrand, the volume of a given region can be accurately calculated.