Hamiltonian-momentum commutator

• Thread starter jarvinen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutator
In summary, the conversation revolves around computing the commutator of the Hamiltonian operator and the momentum operator. The result is found to be i \hbar \left( \frac{1}{r^{2}}, \ 0 , \ 0 \right) and the method of computing it is explained using the given equations for H and \mathbf{p}.
jarvinen
I have a potential of -1/r and I need to compute [itex] \left[H , \ \mathbf{p} \right] [/itex].

I got the result of [itex] i \hbar \left( \frac{1}{r^{2}}, \ 0 , \ 0 \right) [/itex].

Am I wrong about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post your method of computing the commutator ?

Just used that [itex] \mathbf{p} = -i \hbar \nabla [/itex] and [itex] H = \frac{- \hbar ^{2}}{2m} \nabla ^{2} + U [/itex]

Hence [itex] H \mathbf{p} \psi - \mathbf{p} H \psi [/itex] can be written but note that the [itex] \mathbf{p} \dot \mathbf{p} [/itex] part of H will commute with [itex] \mathbf{p} [/itex], hence only consider [itex] U \mathbf{p} \psi - \mathbf{p} U \psi = \left( -i \hbar \right) \left( - \psi \nabla U \right) [/itex] then substitute for the given U.

1. What is the Hamiltonian-momentum commutator?

The Hamiltonian-momentum commutator is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the Hamiltonian, which represents the total energy of a system, and the momentum of a particle within that system. It is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the time evolution of a system.

2. How is the Hamiltonian-momentum commutator calculated?

The Hamiltonian-momentum commutator is calculated by taking the commutator of the Hamiltonian operator and the momentum operator. This involves multiplying the two operators in both orders and subtracting one from the other.

3. What is the significance of the Hamiltonian-momentum commutator?

The Hamiltonian-momentum commutator is significant because it represents the fundamental relationship between energy and momentum in quantum mechanics. It allows us to calculate how the energy and momentum of a system change over time.

4. How does the Hamiltonian-momentum commutator relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Hamiltonian-momentum commutator is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle through the uncertainty relation between the Hamiltonian and momentum operators. This relation states that the product of the uncertainties in these operators is always greater than or equal to a certain value, known as Planck's constant.

5. Can the Hamiltonian-momentum commutator be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, the Hamiltonian-momentum commutator can be applied to any quantum system, as long as the system can be described by a Hamiltonian and has a well-defined momentum. This includes particles such as electrons, photons, and atoms, as well as larger systems like molecules and even entire systems such as the universe.