Quantum Mechanics - Angular Momentum

This proves that if X is an eigenstate of both A and B, then [A,B] = 0. The converse is not true, [A,B]=0 does not imply A and B have a common eigenstate. One of the easiest examples is a rotation around the z-axis and a rotation around the x-axis. They commute, but there is no common eigenstate.Back to the original question: If you choose a quantization direction different from the given one, as long as you do it correctly, the eigenstates will be mixtures of the old ones. In other words, the eigenstates will be different, but they will all be eigenstates of the new J3.
Tangent87
Hi, I'm doing this question at the top of page 77 here (http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/pastpapers/2008/Part_2/list_II.pdf ). I am stuck on the last part where we have to verify perturbation theory with the exact result. Which means I think we need to find the eigenvalues of the simultaneous eigenstates for [tex]H=-\gamma(B_{1}J_1+B_{3}J_3)[/tex]. I know that |j m> is the eigenstate for [tex]J_3[/tex] but this isn't an eigenstate of [tex]J_1[/tex] so what do we do?

I have found in my notes that the simultaneous eigenstates of [tex]J_1[/tex] are given by a unitary operator but I'm sure there must be an easier way as I find it unlikely this is how the question wants us to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tangent87 said:
Hi, I'm doing this question at the top of page 77 here (http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/pastpapers/2008/Part_2/list_II.pdf ). I am stuck on the last part where we have to verify perturbation theory with the exact result. Which means I think we need to find the eigenvalues of the simultaneous eigenstates for [tex]H=-\gamma(B_{1}J_1+B_{3}J_3)[/tex]. I know that |j m> is the eigenstate for [tex]J_3[/tex] but this isn't an eigenstate of [tex]J_1[/tex] so what do we do?

I have found in my notes that the simultaneous eigenstates of [tex]J_1[/tex] are given by a unitary operator but I'm sure there must be an easier way as I find it unlikely this is how the question wants us to do it.

Re-read the question carefully...your unperturbed Hamiltonian is when [itex]B_1=0[/itex] (i.e. [itex]H_0 = -\gamma B_3 J_3[/itex] )...you shouldn't have much trouble finding the eigenvalues & eigenstates of that. Your Perturbed Hamiltonian is [itex]H=-\gamma((B_{1}J_1+B_{3}J_3)[/itex]...if you rescale your energies as [tex]\tilde{H}=-\frac{H}{\gamma B_3}[/tex], your unperturbed and perturbed hamiltonians become [tex]\tilde{H}_0 = J_3[/itex] and [tex]\tilde{H}=\tilde{H}_0+\lambda J_1[/tex] where [tex]\lambda \equiv \frac{B_1}{B_3} \ll 1[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so as you say we can easily find the e'vals and e'states of [tex]\tilde{H}_0 = J_3[/tex] and apply the perturbation theory to [tex]\tilde{H}=\tilde{H}_0+\lambda J_1[/tex] but even after this rescaling surely we still have the problem of finding the e'states of [tex]J_1[/tex] when it comes to the exact result, unless I'm missing something?

@OP:

Your Hamiltonian may be written as:

[tex]
H = -\gamma (\mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{J}), \; \mathbf{B} = \langle B_{1}, 0, B_{3} \rangle
[/tex]

i.e. it is proportional to the component of angular momentum along the [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] field. This component is quantized in the same manner as any component of the angular momentum, including [itex]J_{3}[/itex]. With this information, can you write the exact eigenvalues of [itex]H[/itex]?

Last edited:
The trick here is that the direction for angular-momentum quantization can be any direction. One can choose a direction where there magnetic field is parallel to it, where the magnetic field has zero perpendicular part.

So adjust the quantization direction accordingly, complete with relabeling the coordinates as appropriate. Make the new z axis along the magnetic field's direction.

Dickfore said:
@OP:

Your Hamiltonian may be written as:

[tex]
H = -\gamma (\mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{J}), \; \mathbf{B} = \langle B_{1}, 0, B_{3} \rangle
[/tex]

i.e. it is proportional to the component of angular momentum along the [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] field. This component is quantized in the same manner as any component of the angular momentum, including [itex]J_{3}[/itex]. With this information, can you write the exact eigenvalues of [itex]H[/itex]?

Sorry I don't follow, [tex]J_3[/tex] is quantised like this right: [tex]J_{3}|j m>=m|j m>[/tex] (in units where hbar=1)? And we need to find a constant K basically such that
[tex]
\mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{J}|j m> = K|j m>
[/tex]?

But how can we do this when we don't know the spin j, and we're pretending we don't know the components of [tex]\mathbf{B}[/tex]?

lpetrich said:
The trick here is that the direction for angular-momentum quantization can be any direction. One can choose a direction where there magnetic field is parallel to it, where the magnetic field has zero perpendicular part.

So adjust the quantization direction accordingly, complete with relabeling the coordinates as appropriate. Make the new z axis along the magnetic field's direction.

This stuff about choosing your axis/directions to be other than what they've given us always confuses me, surely we can't change the magnetic field to be anything other than (B_1,0,B_3) because our answer will somehow involve B_1 and B_3?

And how do you know the direction for angular-momentum quantization can be any direction? Are the physical predictions of the quantum system along a different direction always guaranteed to be the same?

Cheers.

What you do is to change the coordinates so that the new z-axis is in the direction of the magnetic field:

J1*B1 + J2*B2 + J3*B3 = J3' * sqrt(B12 + B22 + B32)

If you rotate the coordinates, the new J3's eigenstates become mixtures of the old J3's eigenstates:

|j,m,new> = R(j,m,m')|j,m',old>

lpetrich said:
What you do is to change the coordinates so that the new z-axis is in the direction of the magnetic field:

J1*B1 + J2*B2 + J3*B3 = J3' * sqrt(B12 + B22 + B32)

If you rotate the coordinates, the new J3's eigenstates become mixtures of the old J3's eigenstates:

|j,m,new> = R(j,m,m')|j,m',old>

Why do they just become mixtures of the old J3 eigenstates, how come the old J1 eigenstates aren't relevant?

Because angular-momentum states cannot be eigenstates of two different components at the same time. That's because they don't commute. It's easy to prove that a state being an eigenstate of two different operators implies that they commute.

Let X be a state, A and B operators, and a and b their eigenvalues for that state:
A.X = a*X
B.X = b*X
A.B.X = a*b*X
B.A.X = b*a*X
(A.B - B.A).X = 0
[A,B].X = 0

Sorry, I understand what you're saying about choosing new coordinates so that the new z-axis is in the direction of the magnetic field but I don't really understand the actual specifics of how you can use that to solve the original problem.

The way it works is simple:

J.B = J3,new*|B|

|B| = magnetic-field strength

Oh I see, and so J.B*|j m> = J3,new*|B|*m*|j m>?

Thanks a lot for your help

That's essentially it.

(J.B)|j,m,new> = (J3,new*|B|)|j,m,new> = |B|*J3,new|j,m,new> = m*|B|*|j,m,new>

1. What is angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

Angular momentum is a property of a particle that describes its rotational motion around an axis. In quantum mechanics, it is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. It is represented by the symbol L and is a combination of the particle's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum measured in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is measured using the operators Lx, Ly, and Lz, which represent the components of angular momentum along the x, y, and z axes, respectively. The measurement of angular momentum is subject to the uncertainty principle, meaning the more precisely one component is known, the less precisely the other components can be known.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and spin in quantum mechanics?

Spin is a type of intrinsic angular momentum that particles possess, in addition to their orbital angular momentum. It is represented by the symbol S and is quantized in the same way as orbital angular momentum. The total angular momentum of a particle is the sum of its orbital and spin angular momentum.

4. How does angular momentum affect the energy levels of a quantum system?

In quantum mechanics, the energy levels of a system are determined by the quantum numbers associated with the system, including the angular momentum quantum number. As the value of angular momentum increases, so does the energy level. This is because higher angular momentum states require more energy to maintain the particle's rotation.

5. Can angular momentum be changed in a quantum system?

According to the conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant. However, it is possible to change the direction of angular momentum by applying a torque to the system. In quantum mechanics, this is achieved by using operators to rotate the wavefunction of the particle, which in turn changes its angular momentum.