Inclined Plane-Acceleration of Object

• Thread starter darkmasterz8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inclined
In summary, the problem involves finding the acceleration of object A to B using the equation Fnetx = Fgx. The attempt at a solution involved calculating the acceleration using the equation Ax = 9.8*sin(20) = 3.35 m/s^2, but the direction of the x-axis was not defined. It is important to include the normal force with friction in the equation. However, in this case, the normal force is canceled out by the component of gravity perpendicular to the ramp (mgcos(theta)), preventing the object from going through the plank or being propelled out of it.
darkmasterz8

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/7161/physics.png
I have to find the acceleration of A to B.

Homework Equations

My problem is that I'm not sure to add normal force with the force of gravity x component.
Fnetx=Fgx
m*Ax=m*g*sin(theta)
Ax=g*sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ax=9.8*sin(20)
=3.35 m/s^2

Should I have added normal force to the Fgx since Fnet is the sum of all forces? I thought you would only include this if friction was given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Normal force is "canceled out" with the component of gravity perpendicular to the ramp (mgcos(theta)). That is why the object doesn't go through the plank and doesn't get propelled out of it either.

Correct, normal force would be included with friction.

The problem with your solution is that you haven't defined what the direction of x-axis is.
It could be up down, left, right, down the ramp, up the ramp...

Are you sure that's what the question is ? It's better to take a look at the question taken from the textbook.

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is set at an angle, rather than being horizontal. It is commonly used in physics to study the motion of objects and the effects of gravity and friction.

2. How does an inclined plane affect the acceleration of an object?

The inclined plane reduces the acceleration of an object compared to if it were on a flat surface. The steeper the incline, the more the acceleration is reduced.

3. How is the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane calculated?

The acceleration of an object on an inclined plane is calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the incline.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration on an inclined plane?

The mass of an object does not affect its acceleration on an inclined plane. The only factors that affect acceleration are the angle of the incline and the force of gravity.

5. Are there any real-life applications of inclined planes and the acceleration of objects?

Yes, inclined planes are commonly used in everyday objects such as ramps, slides, and conveyor belts. They are also used in machinery and vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, to reduce the amount of force needed for movement.