Chemical Reaction Homework: Balancing Equation for CaCO3 & Al2(SiO3)3

In summary, when limestone (calcium carbonate) and clay (aluminum silicate) are heated together, they produce cement, which is a mixture of calcium oxide, carbon dioxide, aluminum oxide, and calcium silicate. The balanced equation for this reaction is 4CaCO3+Al2(SiO3)3 -> CaO+4CO2+Al2O3 +3CaSiO3. To determine the physical state of each reactant and product, solubility rules and personal experience can be used.
kerrwilk

Homework Statement

If limestone (calcium carbonate) and clay (assume aluminum silicate) are mixed together and heated then the result is cement. Cement is a mixture of calcium oxide, carbon dioxide, aluminum oxide, and calcium silicate. These bags can be purchased at any building supplies store. Write the balanced equation for this reaction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

CaCO3+Al2(SiO3)3 -> CaO+CO2+Al2O3 +CaSiO3

I know I did not balance the equation yet. I just want to make sure I wrote it right before I do. Did I do this part right? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

So far, so good.

The Attempt at a Solution

4CaCO3+Al2(SiO3)3 -> CaO+4CO2+Al2O3 +3CaSiO3

Is this right? Also, how do I determine the physical state of each reactant and product? Do I use the solubility rules? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good to me. Yes, solubility rules are a good start. Also, we can use a bit of personal experience too--e.g., we know CO2 is a gas at room temperature.

We are talking about solid, so solubility rules are a little bit off.

Thanks a lot.

1. What is the purpose of balancing chemical equations?

Balancing chemical equations ensures that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. This is necessary because chemical reactions follow the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed.

2. How do I balance equations for compounds with more than one type of atom?

To balance equations for compounds with more than one type of atom, start by balancing the elements that appear only once on each side. Then, balance elements that appear multiple times on one side. Finally, balance the remaining elements.

3. Can I change the subscripts in a chemical equation to balance it?

No, you should never change the subscripts in a chemical equation to balance it. Subscripts represent the number of atoms of each element in a molecule, and changing them would change the identity of the compound.

4. What is the correct way to write a coefficient in a chemical equation?

Coefficients are written in front of the chemical formula and represent the number of molecules or formula units of that compound. They should be written as whole numbers and can be adjusted to balance the equation.

5. How do I know when a chemical equation is balanced?

A chemical equation is balanced when the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. Additionally, the total charge on each side should be equal. It is also helpful to check that all the coefficients are in their lowest possible ratio.