Power & Kinetic Energy Needed to Pull Wagon at 25km/hr

• Thread starter joepro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving finding the power and kinetic energy of a wagon based on its weight, speed, and coefficient of rolling resistance. The formula for finding friction force is mentioned, along with the need for understanding the relationship between power, force, and velocity. The concept of normal force is also discussed as a key factor in solving the problem.
joepro
Hello, I am having a hard time figuring out some physics problems.

The problem states.

How much power is required to pull a wagon weighingi 32200N at the speed of 25.0km/hr f the coefficient of rolling resistance is 0.200? What is the kinetic energy of the wagon?
______KW
______J

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What equations do you think you will need to solve this problem?

I knowI need Ff=UN but otherwise I do not understand how to put the acceleration problem together with the friction problem or where to even start.

joepro said:
I knowI need Ff=UN but otherwise I do not understand how to put the acceleration problem together with the friction problem or where to even start.

You don't need acceleration for this problem. You can get Ff using the formula. So now how does Power relate to force and velocity?

My U is .200 and I know that Ff=U * normal force. How do I find the normal force, then one I find the normal force what do I do to find the required power. I just need some steps and guidence. Thanks

joepro said:
My U is .200 and I know that Ff=U * normal force. How do I find the normal force, then one I find the normal force what do I do to find the required power. I just need some steps and guidence. Thanks

The normal force or the normal reaction is an upward force acting on the car. The only other force acting in the vertical direction is the weight which acts downwards. So if the car does not move up or down, then what is the normal force equal to?

1. What is the formula for calculating power?

The formula for calculating power is power = work/time, or P = W/t. This means that power is equal to the amount of work done divided by the time it took to do the work. In the context of pulling a wagon at 25km/hr, power would be measured in units of watts (W).

2. How do I calculate the kinetic energy needed to pull a wagon at 25km/hr?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity. In the case of pulling a wagon at 25km/hr, m would be the combined mass of the wagon and any additional load, and v would be the velocity of 25km/hr converted to meters per second. The resulting value would be in units of joules (J).

3. What factors affect the power and kinetic energy needed to pull a wagon at 25km/hr?

The power and kinetic energy needed to pull a wagon at 25km/hr can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the wagon and load, the surface friction between the wagon and the ground, and the presence of any external forces such as wind resistance. Additionally, the efficiency and strength of the person or animal pulling the wagon can also impact the power and kinetic energy required.

4. How does the speed of the wagon affect the power and kinetic energy needed?

The speed of the wagon can greatly impact the power and kinetic energy needed to pull it. As speed increases, the kinetic energy of the wagon also increases, meaning that more power is required to maintain that speed. This is due to the fact that the formula for kinetic energy (KE = 1/2 * m * v^2) has a squared relationship with velocity, meaning that even small increases in speed can result in significant increases in kinetic energy.

5. Are there any alternative sources of power that can be used to pull a wagon at 25km/hr?

Yes, there are alternative sources of power that can be used to pull a wagon at 25km/hr. One example is using a motorized vehicle such as a car or tractor to pull the wagon. Another option is to use renewable energy sources such as solar or wind power to power an electric motor to pull the wagon. However, the amount of power and kinetic energy needed would still depend on the factors mentioned in the previous questions.