What are the most time-consuming subjects in college?

• Thread starter MacLaddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation is about attending a community college to fulfill general education requirements before transferring to a four-year university to study electrical engineering. The individual is trying to balance part-time school and full-time work, and is seeking advice on what classes may be more intense and time-consuming. Suggestions are given for classes such as calculus, physics, programming, and foreign language, and it is noted that the difficulty may also depend on the professor. The importance of completing certain classes before transferring to an EE program is mentioned, and the individual is advised to consider a part-time job due to the demanding course load. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of analytical thinking and problem-solving in physics and the use of partial differential equations and perturbation techniques in scientific programming
MacLaddy
Gold Member
I am currently attending a local community college, trying to knock out some generals and electives before moving onto a four year university for a bachelors in electrical engineering.

As I am going to school part time and working full time I am trying to clear out some of the more intense subjects that require mass-homework and hours of study. However, I realized that I don't really know what those subjects are. I can fulfill most of my math requirements, and I had assumed that these may be some of the more intense subjects, but I now realized that I don't really have a clue as to what I am in for.

If anyone could offer up some advice on what some of the more intense courses are, I would be greatly appreciative.

Of course this is probably subjective by school and individual, but a general notion would point me in the right direction.

Thanks much.

Physics news on Phys.org
They usually only offer lower level technical courses at a CC. You should be able to take pretty much all of them. Calc 1-3 and intro to differential equations, intro physics sequence, and a circuit analysis sequence.

The first thing that comes to mind is programming classes. They always were major time sinks for me.

Next might be lab classes, especially lower division chemistry (for me, at least).

Foreign language classes suck up time too - lots of memorizing and listening to recordings.

The biggest time sink for me is the intro physics sequence.

i've found anything with heavy lab components to be time sinks (aka chem). physics labs tend not to have long writes ups in my experience.
and calc 3 (vector calculus) in particular to be pretty bad/time consuming. If you really want to understand it.

Great suggestions, thanks everyone.

What's even better is that all the suggested classes should transfer over smoothly, except the foreign language; luckily that is not a requirement.

I'm trying to knock out enough credits so that I can still work full time and be able to handle the four year curriculum. So much for my thirties.

I think it also depends on the professor. The most time-consuming course for me so far has been a humanities course in which the professor assigned massive amounts of reading. I've no problems producing 'A' papers, but the amount of reading that was required of us took up a huge chunk of my time.

I was in your exact same boat, I transferred from CC to four-year for electrical. I don't know what you've done, but you definently want to get your calc's and physics out of the way before they'll admit you into EE. your toughest classes at CC will be calc II/III, diff eq and physics II (which is really important for EE). some people think physics I is hard, but i thought it was pretty easy. you're probably going to find that a full-time job will be impossible with your course load. I would recommend getting a part-time job if you can.

jtpope2 said:
I was in your exact same boat, I transferred from CC to four-year for electrical. I don't know what you've done, but you definently want to get your calc's and physics out of the way before they'll admit you into EE. your toughest classes at CC will be calc II/III, diff eq and physics II (which is really important for EE). some people think physics I is hard, but i thought it was pretty easy. you're probably going to find that a full-time job will be impossible with your course load. I would recommend getting a part-time job if you can.

The reason that Physics 1 is hard is because most of the students have not seriously learned to think analytically and use Algebra and basic Trigonometry for many application-like problems/exercises. Students here often have not had enough experience following precise instructions. One must learn to analyze and to "trust your algebra". One should find (if were needed) that upon course repeat, that Physics 1 could be easy. Even so, still an effort.

This is actually an older thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=647029

This link references a thread that I started today, that references back to this one. Perhaps the mods can combine them and lock one?

As for physics, I am taking that now and so far it is my favorite class that I have done.

Anything having to do with partial differential equations or using pertubation techniques to solve differential equations, that and scientific programming either for research or a class.

1. What exactly is a "time consuming subject"?

A time consuming subject refers to a topic or area of study that requires a significant amount of time and effort to fully understand and master. This can include complex theories, difficult concepts, or extensive research and experimentation.

2. Why do some subjects take more time to learn than others?

The level of difficulty and complexity of a subject can vary greatly, which can contribute to the amount of time it takes to learn. Some subjects may require a deeper understanding of foundational concepts or may involve more advanced techniques, making them more time consuming to grasp.

3. How can I manage my time effectively when studying a time consuming subject?

One effective way to manage your time when studying a time consuming subject is to break down the material into smaller, manageable chunks. Develop a study schedule and stick to it, setting aside specific blocks of time each day to focus on the subject. It can also be helpful to seek support from teachers, tutors, or study groups to clarify any difficult concepts.

4. Can time consuming subjects be enjoyable to learn?

While some may find time consuming subjects challenging, they can also be incredibly fascinating and rewarding to learn. By breaking down the material and understanding the relevance and real-world applications, it can become more enjoyable and engaging to study.

5. Are there any tips for retaining information from time consuming subjects?

Some techniques for retaining information from time consuming subjects include active learning methods such as summarizing, creating flashcards, and teaching the material to others. It can also be beneficial to take regular breaks and practice self-care, as well as revisiting material periodically to reinforce understanding.