Calc Stress in Steel Beam: F=10kN, A=100mm^2

• Thread starter thephysicsman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam Stress
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of stress in a steel beam with a quadratic cross-section and a force of 10 kN. The result is shown to be 100 MPa, but it is unsure whether this exceeds the yield strength of the steel due to lack of information. The yield strength could potentially be calculated from the given formulas.
thephysicsman

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5112/ph2b.jpg [Broken]a) This steel beam has a quadratic cross-section (A=100mm2). The force F is 10 kN. Calculate the stress in the rod and show that this stress does not exceed the yield strength of the steel.[PLAIN]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/1163/phya.jpg [Broken]2. The attempt at a solution

a)

[tex]\sigma = \frac{10000N}{0.0001m^2}=100 MPa[/tex]

I guess this is right? I'm not sure what the yield strength is. Can I calculate it from the given formulas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The result is okay, but note that [MPa] = [N/mm^2], and not [N/m^2], i.e. you didn't need to convert A into [m^2]. I'm not sure what the expressions in the image mean - are you given a yield strength for steel?

Thanks for replying.

No, nothing else is given. It is a so-called Failure Assessment Diagram (FAD).

What is the formula for calculating stress in a steel beam?

The formula for calculating stress in a steel beam is stress = force/area, where stress is measured in Pascals (Pa), force is measured in Newtons (N), and area is measured in square meters (m^2).

How do I calculate the stress in a steel beam with a force of 10kN and an area of 100mm^2?

To calculate the stress in a steel beam with a force of 10kN and an area of 100mm^2, you would use the formula stress = force/area. First, convert the area from mm^2 to m^2 by dividing by 1,000,000. This gives us an area of 0.0001 m^2. Then, plug in the numbers: stress = 10,000N / 0.0001m^2 = 100,000,000 Pa. Therefore, the stress in the steel beam is 100,000,000 Pa.

What is the unit of measurement for stress in a steel beam?

The unit of measurement for stress in a steel beam is Pascals (Pa). However, it is common to see stress expressed in other units such as kilopascals (kPa) or megapascals (MPa).

What does the stress value tell us about the steel beam?

The stress value tells us how much force per unit area the steel beam is experiencing. In this case, with a force of 10kN and an area of 100mm^2, the beam is experiencing a stress of 100,000,000 Pa. This value can be used to determine if the beam is within its safe operating limits or if it may be at risk of failure.

Can the stress in a steel beam be too high?

Yes, the stress in a steel beam can be too high. If the stress exceeds the yield strength of the steel, it may result in permanent deformation or failure of the beam. It is important to calculate and monitor the stress in a steel beam to ensure it is within safe limits for its intended use.