Planetary Motion - Object has both tangential and radial velocity components

In summary, to find the closest distance of a meteor to the Earth's surface, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the total velocity and then set the acceleration due to gravity equal to the centripetal acceleration to solve for the radius.
limenuke

Homework Statement

A meteor is moving at a speed of 20000mi/hr reltiave to the centre of the Earth when it is 350 mi from the surface of the earth. At that time, the meteor has a radial velocity component of 4000 mi/hr toward the center of the earth. How close does it come to the Earth's surface?

Homework Equations

I'd like to know. I've no idea what to do when there is a velocity component towards the center of the planet. We have not discussed such problems in class...

We have discussed planetary motion, eccentricity, periods of orbits, elliptical transfers, areal velocities and such, but I ahve no approach for this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly cannot really think of anything. I was thinking of a differential equation that assumes that centripetal acceleration reduces the radial velocity vector such that

r = 350 - 4000t + (1/2)(v^2/r)t^2 but I highly doubt this sol'n.

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. You are correct in thinking that the centripetal acceleration will affect the radial velocity component of the meteor's movement towards the center of the Earth. However, there is a simpler approach to solving this problem.

First, we can use the given information to calculate the total velocity of the meteor relative to the Earth's surface. This can be done by using the Pythagorean theorem, where the hypotenuse represents the total velocity and the two legs represent the two velocity components (radial and tangential).

So, we can calculate the total velocity as follows:

v^2 = (20000)^2 + (4000)^2
v = 20412 mi/hr

Next, we can use the equation for centripetal acceleration, a = v^2/r, to calculate the acceleration of the meteor towards the center of the Earth. We know that at a distance of 350 mi from the Earth's surface, the acceleration due to gravity is approximately 32 ft/s^2 (or 21,600 mi/hr^2). So, we can set these two accelerations equal to each other and solve for the radius:

a = 20412^2 / r = 21600
r = 20412^2 / 21600 = 19268.3 mi

Therefore, the meteor will come closest to the Earth's surface at a distance of approximately 19268.3 mi. I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

1. What is Planetary Motion?

Planetary motion is the motion of objects in space, such as planets, moons, and asteroids, around a central point or body, usually a star.

2. How does an object have both tangential and radial velocity components in planetary motion?

In planetary motion, an object's tangential velocity is its speed along a circular path, while its radial velocity is its speed towards or away from the central point. These two components work together to keep the object in a stable orbit around the central body.

3. What factors affect the tangential and radial velocity components in planetary motion?

The tangential and radial velocity components of an object in planetary motion are affected by the object's mass, the mass of the central body, and the distance between the two objects. Generally, objects with larger masses have greater tangential and radial velocities.

4. How do scientists calculate the tangential and radial velocity components of objects in planetary motion?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and Kepler's laws of planetary motion, to calculate the tangential and radial velocities of objects in planetary motion. These equations take into account the object's mass, the mass of the central body, and the distance between them.

5. Can an object have a tangential velocity but not a radial velocity in planetary motion?

No, an object in planetary motion cannot have a tangential velocity without also having a radial velocity. These two components work together to keep the object in a stable orbit around the central body. However, the magnitude of each component can vary depending on the object's position in its orbit.