Exploring Ferrofluid Behavior with Magnets

In summary: This causes the Ferrofluid to heat uniformly and keep the whole system at a uniform temperature, much like a radiator.In summary, the ferrofluid becomes stiffer the closer opposing magnets are brought together and it can act as a radiator to keep the whole system at a uniform temperature.
THORPE
I understand the basics of Ferrofluid and how it works and reacts to a point. I have never had the chance to actually play with it to see the effects when magnets are applied.

I understand that it (when used as a dampener) gets stiffer when the magnetic field is present.

My question is what happens to it if say... you put it in a cylinder and had opposing magnets on each end inside of the cylinder like pistons. does it progressivley thicken as the magnets are brought closer to each other?

I've seen how the active suspension dampening works in some automobiles but curious as to behavior with permanent magnets.

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely somebody knows?

Did I ask it in a confusing way?

My (limited) understanding is that the viscosity of a ferrofluid increases with the applied magnetic field. Moving permanent magnets closer to the ferrofluid increases the magnetic flux density, so the viscosity should increase.

Or are you asking about something else?

That's the way I understand it too.

What I don't know it what happens when the fluid is between to opposing magnets ( repelling) .
Does it make a difference?

I need to clarify...

What happens with the fluid when the opposing magnets are brought closer to each other?

Is there any difference in the behavior of the fluid compared to being in a magnetic field in the same direction (attracting) ? Or does it act like a single magnet would?

Ferrofluid develops spikes in regions of strongest magnetic field. In regions where there is little field strength, such as opposing magnets, the spikes will not form.

Phrak said:
Ferrofluid develops spikes in regions of strongest magnetic field. In regions where there is little field strength, such as opposing magnets, the spikes will not form.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

So I guess it would increase when 2 attracting magnets are brought closer to each other.

Either way I guess it cancels out my idea LOL.

Thanks again for the info!

DROBNJAK said:
Another property of the ferofluid you might want to consider is that it losses permeativity as it heats up. And it heats up if it moves a lot. So if you are intending to use it in a transmition, than most likely it would loose its efficiency after few minutes of use.

Hmmm. What's the difference in the Mr fluid used in Active Suspension?

And also I thought it acted in a cooling agent in speakers.

My idea is for an R/C car application: Suspension configuration.

Ferror fluid has convective properties, essentially circulating hot fliud areas with cooler fluid

What is ferrofluid?

Ferrofluid is a liquid that contains tiny magnetic particles, typically made of iron or iron oxide, suspended in a carrier fluid such as water or oil.

How does ferrofluid interact with magnets?

Ferrofluid is attracted to magnets due to the presence of the magnetic particles. When exposed to a magnetic field, the particles align themselves and cause the ferrofluid to form unique shapes and patterns.

What are some common applications of ferrofluid?

Ferrofluid has a variety of applications, including use in loudspeakers, as a sealant in hard drives, in medical devices for targeted drug delivery, and in artwork and science demonstrations.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with ferrofluid?

Ferrofluid can be messy and stain surfaces, so it is important to work with it on a protected surface. It is also important to wear gloves and avoid ingesting or inhaling the liquid. Additionally, care should be taken to keep magnets at a safe distance from electronic devices.

How can ferrofluid behavior be explored with magnets?

One way to explore ferrofluid behavior is by using different types of magnets, such as bar magnets, horseshoe magnets, or neodymium magnets, to observe how the ferrofluid responds to different magnetic fields. Another way is to introduce different objects, such as paper clips or toothpicks, into the ferrofluid and observe how they interact with the magnetic liquid.