Chrome 10b: Switching from Firefox to a Faster Surfing Experience

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chrome
In summary, the conversation discusses the preference for Google Chrome over Firefox due to its faster performance and smoother browsing experience. However, some concerns are raised about Google's slower response to addressing security flaws and the lack of certain user-friendly features, such as the option to open new tabs in front. The conversation also mentions personal experiences with both browsers and the use of different browsers by the individuals involved.
I've been a big FF fan for many years, but lately it had been acting very sluggish on the application level. Lots of scrolling and action lag. I switched to 100% Chrome last week and I'm really loving it. Runs like a Ferrari. Chrome 10b just came out today and surfing feels even smoother. PF is definitely faster on Chrome. I'm throwing my support behind Chrome!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've dabbled with Chrome, but Google is much slower about addressing serious security flaws than Mozilla or even Apple. Given that they want to turn Chrome into an entire OS, I'm not sure that bodes well for the future.

Also in my experience, FF slowdowns are almost always the result of accumulated crap from extensions. I've done "clean" reinstalls of FF a few times and it's always returned to being pretty fast.

fss said:
I've dabbled with Chrome, but Google is much slower about addressing serious security flaws than Mozilla or even Apple. Given that they want to turn Chrome into an entire OS, I'm not sure that bodes well for the future.

Hmmm everything I've read seems to support Chrome as the most secure and most compliant to web standards. Where are you seeing reports of major security flaws in Chrome 9/10?

fss said:
Also in my experience, FF slowdowns are almost always the result of accumulated crap from extensions. I've done "clean" reinstalls of FF a few times and it's always returned to being pretty fast.

Certainly could be, but all I had was Firebug and had it for years. Memory leaks were always a problem for me. Will be interested again when FF 4 is released stable.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Hmmm everything I've read seems to support Chrome as the most secure and most compliant to web standards. Where are you seeing reports of major security flaws in Chrome 9/10?
Mostly Google's bug tracking database. It's not open to the public though. They're good about fixing the "Critical" and "High" threat-level bugs, but some of the "medium"-level bugs have been languishing for months. I just don't understand why.

I use both Chrome and Firefox. The main flaw with Chrome for me is that it is less user friendly. I'll cite one example. When clicking on a link with the middle button, the web page will open up as a new tab. This page can be either in front of or behind the previous tab. The default for all browsers is behind and you need to shift while hitting the middle button to get the new page in front. However, in all other browsers there is an option to change the default so that it always opens in front, without using the shift key. Chrome is the only browser that I am using that does not have this option.

For information: browsers I use: IE8, Avant, Orca, Chrome, Firefox, Opera

Last edited:

1. What is Chrome 10b?

Chrome 10b is a web browser developed by Google that offers a faster and more efficient surfing experience compared to other browsers like Firefox.

2. How is Chrome 10b faster than Firefox?

Chrome 10b uses a different rendering engine called Blink, which allows for faster loading and rendering of web pages. It also has a more streamlined and lightweight design, making it more efficient in terms of memory usage.

3. Can I import my bookmarks and settings from Firefox to Chrome 10b?

Yes, Chrome 10b offers a simple and easy process for importing bookmarks, browsing history, and settings from Firefox. You can do this during the initial setup or through the settings menu.

4. Is it easy to switch from Firefox to Chrome 10b?

Yes, the process of switching from Firefox to Chrome 10b is very straightforward. You can simply download and install Chrome 10b and then import your bookmarks and settings. Most of the features and functions are similar between the two browsers, so it should be an easy transition.

5. Are there any downsides to using Chrome 10b over Firefox?

While Chrome 10b offers a faster surfing experience, it may not have as many customization options and extensions as Firefox. Additionally, some users may have concerns about privacy as Google is known for collecting user data. However, Chrome 10b does offer some privacy settings that can be adjusted to limit data collection.