4th order linear, with constant piecewise coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses the dynamics of a cantilever with a non-constant linear density profile and the use of tools such as Fourier transforms to solve the resulting differential equation. An analytic solution and a numerical solution through finite element analysis are suggested as possible approaches.
sir_manning
Hi everyone

I'm modeling the dynamics of a cantilever that has a non-constant linear density profile, i.e.

[tex]\rho(x)=\rho_{1} \0 \leq x \leq x_{0} [/tex]
[tex]\rho(x)=\rho_{2} \0 x_{0} \leq x \leq l [/tex]
[tex]\rho(x)=0 \0 [/tex] otherwise

My differential equation is:

[tex] \frac{ d^4 \phi(x) } {d x^4} = \phi(x) \rho(x) [/tex]

I'm wondering what tools I should through at this thing. I was thinking Fourier transforms, so I re-wrote [tex] \rho(x) [/tex] as the difference between two box functions. However, when I take the transform I have the convolution of [tex] \Phi(x) [/tex], which is unknown, with some [tex] sinc [/tex] functions.

Could someone point me in the right direction for how to tackle an equation like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want an analytic solution, you could solve the ODE for the two parts separately, and then equate [itex]\phi[/itex] and the first 3 derivatives to eliminate 4 of the 8 arbitary constants.

A numerical solution might be easier. This sort of thing is trivial to model in finite element analysis.

1. What is a 4th order linear equation with constant piecewise coefficients?

A 4th order linear equation with constant piecewise coefficients is a mathematical equation that contains a dependent variable raised to the 4th power and has coefficients that do not change within different intervals of the independent variable.

2. How is a 4th order linear equation with constant piecewise coefficients different from a regular linear equation?

A regular linear equation has a maximum exponent of 1 for the dependent variable, while a 4th order linear equation has a maximum exponent of 4. Additionally, a regular linear equation has constant coefficients throughout the entire equation, while a 4th order linear equation may have different coefficients within different intervals of the independent variable.

3. What is the purpose of using piecewise coefficients in a 4th order linear equation?

Piecewise coefficients allow for more flexibility in the equation, as different intervals of the independent variable can have different coefficients. This allows for a more accurate representation of real-world phenomena that may have varying rates of change.

4. How is a 4th order linear equation with constant piecewise coefficients used in science?

4th order linear equations with constant piecewise coefficients are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and study phenomena that exhibit higher order dependencies and changing rates of change.

5. What are some common applications of 4th order linear equations with constant piecewise coefficients?

Some common applications include modeling population growth, studying the behavior of complex systems, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles under different conditions.