Voltage regulator to maintain constant amps

In summary, the conversation discusses using a voltage regulator and a resistor to maintain a constant current of 20 mA across an LED. It is suggested to use a 3-terminal regulator, such as a 7805, and a resistor with a value of 175 ohms. It is also mentioned that it is possible to build a constant current source using a regulator and a resistor, and this method has advantages for maintaining consistent LED brightness. Another suggestion is to use a transistor in ce mode with an emitter resistor to define the current. Overall, the conversation presents various options for controlling the current in a circuit with an LED.
nheugel
I am trying to design a circuit that has 20 mA acoss an LED, I had been advised I could use a voltage regulator to keep the current at 20 mA. However, I am not exactly sure as to how to set up the circuit. Would I set it up so that it would maintain a voltage and then run that voltage across a resistor to keep the current constant? or is there some other configuration I should be using?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, the easy way would be to use a 3 terminal regulator to produce 5 volts then use a resistor to limit the current to 20 mA.

A suitable regulator would be a 7805. These are available very cheaply in most electronic component stores or on Internet.

The resistor will depend on the type of LED, but a red LED would drop about 1.5 volts.
So, this leaves 3.5 volts across the series resistor.

Using Ohms Law, the resistor has 3.5 volts across it and 20 mA ( 0.02 amps) flowing through it, so it has a value of (3.5 / 0.02) or 175 ohms.

You can't normally buy 175 ohm resistors, but you can buy 150 or 180 ohm resistors. 180 is closest, but you can check the current with a multimeter.

It IS possible to build a constant current source using a 7805, or about any 780X regulator. Pick your regulator, (7805 for sake of discussion), pick your current (.02 amps for sake of discussion). Put a 250 ohm resistor from the output pin to the ground pin except DON'T ground the ground pin. Instead, put the LED from the ground pin to ground. No matter what type of load or LEDs in series for instance that you put here, the current will always be .02 amps unless the load resistance gets so high that the regulator runs out of voltage headroom. Might want to watch capacitive loads though. Be careful there.
-
Advantage of such a circuit? I once needed something like this to run an LED array that drew around .25 amps with a developed voltage across the bank considerably higher than the standard 1.5 to 2 volts that a normal LED drops, like closer to 6. So in order to guarantee the same array brightness I used the above described scheme with a low dropout 5 volt regulator. This prevented the input voltage to the regulator which could vary between 11 and 14.5 volts from changing the LED intensity. Now arguably I could have just went with a low dropout 10 volt regulator and picked a suitable current limiting resistor, but variations in the LED array would have had much more of an effect on the brightness.

Whoa...Kewel idea...
Never occurred to me that it would be so easy to turn a voltage reg into a current regulator...
thanks!

If you're only feeding a humble LED you only need to use a transistor in ce mode with an emitter resistor to define the current. Cheaper and you'd learn more about the way things work, I'd bet.

But a series resistor and a voltage source of a few volts higher than the LED operating voltage is all that's usually required

1. What is a voltage regulator and what does it do?

A voltage regulator is an electronic device that maintains a constant output voltage regardless of changes in input voltage or load conditions. It ensures that the output voltage remains stable and within a specified range, regardless of fluctuations in the input voltage.

2. Why is a voltage regulator necessary to maintain constant amps?

A voltage regulator is necessary to maintain constant amps because as the input voltage changes, the output current will also change accordingly. This can cause damage to sensitive electronic components that require a specific amount of current to function properly. A voltage regulator ensures that the output current remains constant, protecting the components from damage.

3. How does a voltage regulator maintain constant amps?

A voltage regulator maintains constant amps by using a feedback control loop. It continuously monitors the output voltage and adjusts the input voltage to maintain a constant output. This is achieved by using a reference voltage and comparing it to the output voltage, then adjusting the input voltage accordingly.

4. Can a voltage regulator maintain constant amps for different input voltages?

Yes, a voltage regulator can maintain constant amps for different input voltages. As long as the input voltage remains within the specified range of the voltage regulator, it will adjust the output voltage to maintain a constant current. However, if the input voltage exceeds the maximum range of the voltage regulator, it may not be able to maintain a constant output current.

5. What are some common applications of a voltage regulator?

A voltage regulator is commonly used in electronic devices that require a stable power supply, such as computers, mobile phones, and medical equipment. It is also used in automotive systems, power distribution systems, and renewable energy systems to ensure a constant and reliable power supply.