Computing the 1-loop Correction to the 3 Gluon Vertex with Non-Zero Quark Mass

Broken]In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the correction to the 3 gluon vertex in QCD due to a quark loop with non-zero quark-mass. It is suggested that the diagram vanishes due to the QED photon 3-point function also vanishing. However, a potential mistake is acknowledged and a reference is provided for further clarification. The QED and QCD calculations are compared, with the latter resulting in a trace of SU(3) generators and a proportional factor f^(a,b,c).
ParticleGrl
Anyone know a reference in the literature that computes the correction to the 3 gluon vertex due to a quark loop with non-zero quark-mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean a triangular quark loop at the center? I think this diagram vanishes. This amplitude = (trace of SU(3) generators of the gluons) * (QED photon 3-point function with a fermion loop). The latter vanishes because in QED the photon 3-point function vanishes. I may have made a mistake, so please correct me.

petergreat said:
You mean a triangular quark loop at the center? I think this diagram vanishes. This amplitude = (trace of SU(3) generators of the gluons) * (QED photon 3-point function with a fermion loop). The latter vanishes because in QED the photon 3-point function vanishes. I may have made a mistake, so please correct me.

The QED three point function vanishes because its a sum of two loops, one cancels against the other. In QCD, you get tr[t^a t^b t^c] - tr[t^a t^c t^b], which is proportional to f^(a,b,c), as you'd expect.

Maybe this can help:

arXiv:hep-ph/9806522v1[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a 3 gluon vertex at 1 loop?

A 3 gluon vertex at 1 loop is a mathematical term that describes the interaction between three gluon particles in quantum field theory. It is used to calculate the scattering amplitudes of gluon interactions in quantum chromodynamics (QCD).

2. How is the 3 gluon vertex at 1 loop calculated?

The 3 gluon vertex at 1 loop is calculated using Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of particle interactions. The calculation involves summing over all possible diagrams and integrating over all possible momentum values.

3. What is the significance of the 3 gluon vertex at 1 loop in QCD?

In QCD, the 3 gluon vertex at 1 loop is important because it is a key factor in understanding the strong force, which is responsible for holding quarks together to form protons and neutrons. It also plays a crucial role in predicting the behavior of high-energy particle collisions.

4. What are some applications of the 3 gluon vertex at 1 loop?

The 3 gluon vertex at 1 loop is used in theoretical calculations of particle interactions, such as in the study of the strong force and the behavior of high-energy particle collisions. It is also used in experiments at particle accelerators, where it helps to validate and improve our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.

5. Are there any current research developments related to the 3 gluon vertex at 1 loop?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts to improve our understanding and calculation of the 3 gluon vertex at 1 loop. This includes developing new mathematical techniques and computational methods to handle the complex calculations involved. Additionally, experiments at particle accelerators continue to provide valuable data for further investigation of the 3 gluon vertex at 1 loop and its role in particle interactions.