Reminiscences: 1976 interview with J.A.Wheeler (friend of Bohr and Einstein)

In summary, the conversation discusses John Archibald Wheeler, a renowned physicist known for his originality and vision. The speaker is interested in finding online sources about Wheeler's career and asks others to share if they have any. They also mention a link to an article by Anton Zeilinger that discusses Wheeler's ideas on quantum physics and the concept of physical reality as information.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.4532

In case anyone is interested. John Archibald Wheeler was a a great 20th C physicist (he was Feynman's PhD advisor I think.) He had originality and vision. I'd like to have more links to online sources that have Wheeler remembering people and events of his long career. Please add any good Wheeler stuff if you have some.

Physics news on Phys.org
marcus said:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.4532

In case anyone is interested. John Archibald Wheeler was a a great 20th C physicist (he was Feynman's PhD advisor I think.) He had originality and vision. I'd like to have more links to online sources that have Wheeler remembering people and events of his long career. Please add any good Wheeler stuff if you have some.

I thought this link to a short article by Anton Zeilinger was an interesting summary of some of Wheeler's ideas. The crux seems to be that what we take to be physical reality is essentially information and that many of the apparent paradoxes of quantum physics have to do with states of information and the way those states are updated. This would suggest that Wheeler took a Bayesian approach in his thinking about these things.

http://www.metanexus.net/ultimate_reality/zeilinger.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the significance of the 1976 interview with J.A. Wheeler?

The 1976 interview with J.A. Wheeler is significant because it provides valuable insights into the lives and work of two of the most influential physicists of the 20th century - Niels Bohr and Albert Einstein. Wheeler was a close friend and colleague of both Bohr and Einstein, making his recollections and observations in the interview highly valuable for understanding their contributions to physics.

2. What topics are covered in the interview?

The interview covers a wide range of topics, including the personal and professional relationships between Bohr, Einstein, and Wheeler, their thoughts on quantum mechanics and the nature of reality, and their contributions to the development of nuclear weapons and the theory of relativity.

3. Is the interview reliable?

As a scientist, I must approach all sources of information with a critical eye. While the interview may contain some subjective recollections and anecdotes, it is generally considered to be a reliable source of information due to Wheeler's close personal and professional relationships with Bohr and Einstein.

4. How does the interview contribute to our understanding of Bohr and Einstein?

The interview provides unique insights into the personalities and thought processes of Bohr and Einstein, as seen through the eyes of their friend and colleague. It also sheds light on their groundbreaking contributions to physics and their impact on the scientific community.

5. Can the interview be accessed online?

Yes, the interview is available online through various sources, including the Niels Bohr Library & Archives and the American Institute of Physics. It can also be found in published works, such as the book "Quantum Theory and Reality" by J.A. Wheeler.