What is the equation for finding the mass of Jupiter based on Callisto's orbit?

• Thread starter DocZ1219
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the professor is using Kepler's 3.law to explain why the equation for M is 4pie^2(R)^3 \ Gt^2.
DocZ1219
Hello, i am a student taking a physics course online since my school doesn't offer it. I have come across one problem that i nor any science teacher I have access to can help me with. If you would please explain it to me then i would be more than grateful. Thank you

The problem reads...
"One of the moons of Jupiter is Callisto. It has a mean distance of 1.883 x 10^6 kilometers from Jupiter and has a period of 16.7 days. What is the mass of Jupiter?"

Can anyone please explain why the professor set up the equation as 4pie^2(R)^3 \ Gt^2 ?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
He's using Kepler's 3.law, if I'm not mistaken.
(LONG derivation..)

not so hard actually;
consider Newton's law of gravity, F = GmM/r^2. This law serves as our centripetal force:
mv^2/r = GmM/r^2. Simplify this and use v = r*(omega)=r*2*pie/T and you'll get rid of m and get the exact equation for M as you have.

As arildno said, that equation is practically just Kepler's third law, as explained by Newton (i.e. - the equation explains why Kepler's third law is true). The equation's rearranged to find the gravitational constant for Jupiter with one small variation.

If you divide the universal gravitational constant (G) out of Jupiter's gravitational constant, you'll get the mass of Jupiter. That's why the G is in the denominator of your equation.

niehls said:
not so hard actually;
consider Newton's law of gravity, F = GmM/r^2. This law serves as our centripetal force:
mv^2/r = GmM/r^2. Simplify this and use v = r*(omega)=r*2*pie/T and you'll get rid of m and get the exact equation for M as you have.
BLAARGH!
I'm so used to derive this to gain the relation in terms of the semi-major axis that such elegant arguments as yours are overlooked..:redface:

don't make it too hard on yourself :)

alright... thank you all very much. I guess i just got a little overwhelmed when he substituted all those equations in. Thanks again! :biggrin:

What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and the moon in orbit around the Earth.

What is the formula for calculating gravity?

The formula for calculating gravity is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the two masses, and r is the distance between the two masses.

How does gravity affect objects on Earth?

Gravity on Earth causes all objects to fall towards the ground at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. This is why objects dropped from the same height will hit the ground at the same time.

Can gravity be stronger or weaker in different places?

Yes, the strength of gravity can vary depending on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. For example, gravity is stronger on Earth than on the moon because the Earth has a larger mass.

Is there any way to escape the pull of gravity?

Yes, in order to escape the pull of gravity, an object must reach a speed called escape velocity. This varies depending on the mass of the object and the planet it is trying to escape from.